Friday, August 29, 2008


My First Lady Tomatoes - August 2008

Word of the Day

Kukucok - 1. A rooster that has gone berserk, and goes around pecking at everything.
2. To go crazy.


I woke up to dense fog outside this morning. You couldn't see further than the end of our dock. I could smell the faint smell of campfires. Oh...wait a minute. That's my hair. My hair has retained a distinct smokey smell from yesterday morning's activities. Oh well...at least it doesn't smell like smoked fish. I was hoping that the smell would fade but it isn't a totally unpleasant odor.

I picked tomatoes this morning. It looks like I need to can some of them. I was hoping that I could buy a couple of bushels of tomatoes for canning but I may just have to make do with what I've got. Note to self - My First Lady tomatoes did VERY well despite the blight. Very productive! Next year I stick to First Lady tomato plants. Or...if I can find them....Legend.

I also picked my cucumbers but I'm still seeing blossoms. I think they may be done for the year. I've got enough to make a few jars of dill pickles with some leftover for a couple of green salads for HTP and me. I also picked a couple more zucchini. As for my kennel garden. The peas have finally finished. My beans are almost done...just producing enough for the occasional meal. The tomato plants are dead. I might as well clear them out of the garden. Only the zucchini still seems to be actively growing out there. The eggplant never did anything at all. Nor the cucumbers. My Earthboxes produced just about everything this year. Eggplant, cucumbers, zucchini, tomatoes, peppers. Which reminds me, I should go out and pick more peppers.

Oh...and the raspberries. I need to pick raspberries. I'll wait until the dew dries but it looks like the fog has lifted and we've got a clear blue sky.

Murphyism of the Day

Valery's Law


History is the science of what never happens twice.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

- George Santayana

No comments: