Monday, August 25, 2008


Old Grey Frog Blazing a Trail Down the Logging Road - August 2008


A Spring Look Down the Logging Road - May 2008



Old Grey Frog Hiking the Logging Road - Picture taken by Willie a few years ago...can't remember the year so it must have been lots of years ago. However, I'll be wearing that same shirt and hat today.


Word of the Day

Knoon - A combination knife and spoon.


"And...I have to take the exhaustion test for the 100 Push-up Challenge. Will I go on to Week Six?" Nope. I only managed 45 push-ups this morning during my exhaustion test. This may be because I woke up with my shoulder hurting or maybe it was the pain in my big toe or maybe it was that I'd only had a couple of sips of coffee and it took quite a while to get that going (I'm really going to have to get into the habit of prepping the pot for brewing the previous night). Regardless, I'll have to repeat Week Five. However, 45 push-ups is only two shy of the required amount to move on. Hopefully, after repeating Week Five, I'll be able to breeze on to Week Six.

We actually had frost warnings here last night. However this morning when I woke up the temperatures were in the mid-40's. I hope we didn't get any frost. I was hoping to have a lot more time before putting my gardens to bed for the winter. I'm not ready! I have one more month here! Alas, it feels darn cold out there this morning. My sweatshirt was hardly warm enough when Gypsy and I took our morning perimeter walk but I stubbornly refused to grab my winter jacket. Brrrrrr!!!!!!

JERRY HARKAVY, Associated Press Writer, wrote this morning about the 2009 Farmer's Almanac and the coming winter:

"Numb's the word," says the 192-year-old publication, which claims an accuracy rate of 80 to 85 percent for its forecasts that are prepared two years in advance.

The almanac's 2009 edition, which goes on sale Tuesday, says at least two-thirds of the country can expect colder-than-average temperatures this winter, with only the Far West and Southeast in line for near-normal readings.

"This is going to be catastrophic for millions of people," said almanac editor Peter Geiger.

The almanac predicts above-normal snowfall for the Great Lakes and Midwest, especially during January and February, and above-normal precipitation for the Southwest in December and for the Southeast in January and February. The Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions will likely have an unusually wet or snowy February, the almanac said.


All I know is that it feels too darn cold for August at The Lake. However, this should make for perfect berry-picking weather today. Low humidity. Cool temperatures. Can I hope for a light breeze to blow the mosquitoes away? The woodticks are done (knock on wood) for the season. I hope my toe stops hurting. I think I spent too many hours standing on my feet at HTP's class reunion. Even with the comfy shoes that I was wearing, I'm afraid that six hours on my feet was too much. I can hear the snort of laughter from MC Daughter who spends her entire shift on her feet and then maybe adds on a couple of hours of overtime. I'm just not that young anymore and my bunion is only one of the clarions to announce this fact. I'll wear my most comfortable and only pair of hiking boots later today before Sis and my hike and hopefully this will muffle the complaints of my big toe. I've never actually clocked the distance from my house, down the logging road, and then on to my folks' place. Three miles? Doesn't seem all that long but the hike is pretty rough through and over downed brush and trees and high grass and weeks. I keep thinking that it would be nice to develop a nicer hiking trail...or at least clear out the trees each year so we can a 4x4 on it but.... HTP wants Sis and me to take the camera with us on our hike today to photograph any downed trees. Maybe he's "thinking" about doing some clearing?

Murphyism of the Day

Rominger's Rules for Teachers


1. When a student asks for a second time if you have read his book report, he did not read the book.

2. If daily class attendance is mandatory, a scheduled exam will produce increased absenteeism. If attendance is optional, a scheduled exam will produce persons you have never seen before.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

When in doubt, tell the truth.

- Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

No comments: