Monday, July 08, 2013

Really? Actual Barber Shop in Derry, Northern Ireland


Word of the Day

Thesisize - To research, write, or edit one's own thesis.

It feels so good to have clean clothes. I spent a great deal of yesterday trying to catch up on all things domestic. I'll be working on that for a while yet. I did get the laundry done. Three weeks of dirty clothes. Washing clothes in a bathroom sink while traveling is possible but not all that easy when it comes to larger items. BW and I stuck to the smaller items of our wardrobes....undies and socks. Even so, we had to resort to using a hair-dryer in order to remove the last bits of damp.

I noted a bit of blight starting on my tomato plants on the lower patio. In this hot and humid weather we're having at The Lake, everything grows prolifically...even blight. So, I was out in the humidity, fighting blight with my handy-dandy duster, loaded with Dragoon Dust. I had some luck with it last year. It doesn't have to be reapplied quite so often as the spray fungicide that I'd been using. We had rain last night but the dust isn't all that easy to wash off.

Speaking of prolific growth, this can be a mixed blessing and curse. Aside from the blight, the weeds in my flowerbeds seem to be thriving. I started weeding the front flower beds. HTP is having a hard time believing that there were no weeds in those beds when I left. *sigh* At least they're easily pulled but it'll take me a while to get them whipped. On the plus side, the lettuce that I planted from seed that was just sprouting when I left, is ready for harvest. We've already enjoyed a couple of meals with this fresh homegrown lettuce and as I sat outside, enjoying the quiet ( after the holiday weekenders who'd been partying on the lake during this holiday weekend departed), I could see the lettuce growing.

HTP has been trying to get our generator up and running, doing the simple things (not so simple to me), but, no luck. I suppose it's too much to expect that we wouldn't have repair problems eventually. The generator is as old as our home here at The Lake. I hate to think about what will break down next. Murphy's Law applied.

In the meantime, I've been enjoying re-reading Nora Robert's Irish Gallagher Series. After touring Ireland for the last few weeks, the visuals in the book have become even more vivid.

Random Quote of the Day

“If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.”

― Oscar Wilde


No comments: