Thursday, June 05, 2003

0 Days before I leave for Wisconsin and "The Lake"

I suppose I should change that header.

4 Days of driving before I get to Wisconsin and "The Lake"

I heard that there's a new highway outside of Gallup. Actually, it's the same old highway but they've renamed it. The old name was supposed to be "evil" and bad luck. I've never been all that superstitious. I suppose that's why I let my youngest daughter talk me into going out of our way to photograph the highway sign on one of our cross-country treks to Wisconsin. Bad move. We lost our transmission 40 miles beyond Albuquerque, near a small town called Moriarity. It was Memorial Day. I was able to find a phone however and AAA sent someone out to tow us back to Albuquerque...to a hotel. Nothing was open on Memorial Day. The next day we had to find a transmission place where we could have our car towed. We did but it took another night before they could take care of our poor car. Albuquerque isn't all that easy to explore without a car and with three kids and two dogs but we tried. The next day we attempted to leave Albuquerque. The car overheated. This time it was the water pump. We limped into a Pep Boys and we (three kids and two dogs) spent the day and into the night there while they kindly fixed our car. I made my daughter destroy the film with the picture of that "evil", cursed highway sign. Our repairman, after charging us only an arm and not a leg to fix our water pump (it was 10 PM and he'd stayed late to help us out), asked us if we were going to spend another night in Albuquerque. We all decided that we'd (NO WAY, NO HOW, FORGET THAT) continue on our way for as long as we could. I'm not too superstitious. I'm glad that they renamed that highway though. I heard that my Uncle Bill lost his transmission the very next year at the same spot.

I won't name the highway. I didn't name the highway the first time I wrote this blog either. The first time? Yup. My entire computer froze up and I lost my blog (Side note to my daughter and my husband: I know I should have written my blog the first time as a seperate email or word document and copy and pasted). I ended up having to rewrite this whole thing. I'm not superstitious but we're traveling that way today and I'm really glad that they renamed that highway. Cliche of the Day will be postponed due to "blog delay".

No comments: