Tuesday, June 03, 2003

2 More Days before I leave for Wisconsin and "The Lake"

Laundry Day. This is the last laundry day here in Arizona until I get back in September. My next laundry day will be in Wisconsin. I hope I have some Yellow Out at "The Lake". I made the mistake of washing a load of whites in Wisconsin before the rust had a chance of clearing the system. Yellow, this will never come out YELLOW and I've ruined my husband's one and only white dress shirt YELLOW! I desperately ran the whole incredibly yellow-stained load over to the one and only laundromat in Birchwood. Fortunately, I found this neat product at Hank's Hardware Store (apparently I'm not the only person with rusty pipes in the universe) which I was able to add to the load at the laundromat and all the yellow magically disappeared, leaving sparkling whites. I now have another exception to the rule. Tuesday is the one and only day I do laundry unless I'm at "The Lake" and the rust hasn't cleared the pipes yet. In this case, laundry will either have to be taken to a laundromat (emergency situations only) or it will have to wait until the next Tuesday rolls around and I've stocked up on Yellow Out.

Cliche of the Day will be temporarily shelved due to extreme packing stress. Besides, I couldn't find an appropriate one in the H's and I didn't want to proceed to the I's. Wait a minute! I found one!

Hard and Fast (Rule). Rigid; fixed. Another nautical term, originally referring to a ship that had run aground or was otherwise on land (as in drydock). In this sense it is found in Admiral William Henry Smyth's The Sailor's Word-Book (1867): "Said of a ship on shore." In the sense of something rigid it was around at the same time, being used by J. W. Henley in the House of Commons: "The House has deliberately, after long concideration, determined to have no 'hard and fast line'."

No comments: