Wednesday, June 11, 2003

It's Not Raining

It's not raining today. I was going to start my garden today but the ground is still too wet. I did run out and pulled a few of the gizillion weeds that have sprouted out in my yard. I figure that if I pull at least 20 weeds a day, I may catch up with them. Unfortunately, I get the feeling that 25 new weeds sprout out there everyday. I am not spending my summer weeding! I'm told that I should let them grow and tell everyone that I'm trying to preserve the native flora and fauna. Thankfully, there is no HOA (Homeowner's Association, aka...Lake Gestapo) here at "The Lake" to worry about my bid for Nature Preservationist of the Year. My garden will get planted as soon as the soil dries out enough to spade it without making mudpies. Oh....the sun just came out! It's so pretty! I'm going to see if I can run out and pull out another 20 weeds and convince the dogs to join me in a walk.

Cliche of the Day

Make Hay While the Sun Shines. Act while conditions are favorable. The grass that is going to be used as hay needs to be dried after it is cut; rain is likey to spoil it. The farmer, therefore, sought to cut hay on a day when it seemed likely that the sun would be around for that day and one or two more. John Heywood listed the advice as proverbial in 1546: "When the sunne shyneth make hay."

No comments: