Friday, June 20, 2003

I didn't think I'd be able to blog today. So much to cram into so few hours, days, weeks, and months. Wash the windows. Finish the laundry....I know....it's not Tuesday but this is an emergency. My son needed to pack CLEAN clothes. He's going back to Arizona today. So little time. He only had two weeks. We've tried to cram so much into those two few weeks. Next year he'll have more time. I think he'll have the whole summer next year. Maybe not. He's one of those fledgling birds getting ready to fly the nest. We're making another run into Minneapolis to take him to the airport. Then we have to stay at least two hours to make sure that his flight actually does take off. Might as well go shopping during that time. My husband really should have a new shirt and those kitchen towels are looking pretty bad. Too stained for company. Tomorrow is the family reunion (my husband's side of the family) but none of my children will be attending. So much to do and so little time left in which to do it.

Sands of Time. The passing of the hours or years. It wasn't too many centuries ago tht the main means of measuring periods of time was a sandglass or and hourglass, in which grains of sand flowed through a narrow aperture into a receptacle at a predetermined rate, so that all of them would have passed from top to bottom in, say, an hour. These are the "sands of time,' which are recorded in Tottel's Miscellany (1557) in this way: "I saw, my tyme how it did runne, as sand out of the glasse."

No comments: