Friday, June 27, 2003

I've got my computer back! Triple back flips! And the sun is shining. How appropriate! The weekenders haven't arrived yet and I can go out and enjoy the peace and serenity of the lake....until they get here. Then I'll join the loons and the rest if the wildlife who go into hiding. I hate jet ski's, people who live on pontoon boats moored right off my dock with radio's blaring and kids screaming, idiots on ski's who race from one end of the lake to the other creating huge wake that erodes the shore, and more idiots who race their boats back and forth for no apparent reason. They all pour into our little lake through the channel from the larger connecting lake because...get this....our lake is so peaceful and quiet. It almost makes one wish for rain. Almost. Below you should note that I've had to return to the "A"s in my Dictionary of Cliches by James Rogers. Apparently, I completed the alphabet with the "Y"s because Mr. Rogers had no entries starting with "Z". I really think that there have to be some cliches that start with "Z" but there were not listed. What about Zippity Do, Da, Day? or Zip Your Lip? or Zap! You're an Orange Crate? OK. I made that last one up when I was young and mad at my brother. Swearing wasn't allowed in my family when I was growing up. You had to get creative.

Cliche of the Day

Abandon Hope, All Ye Who Enter Here. You're going to a dismal, unpromising, no-win situation. The expression comes from Dante's Inferno (1300), where it appears as, "All hope abandon, ye who enter here." "Here" was the Inferno, or Hell.

No comments: