Monday, February 12, 2007

Word of the Day

Adultish - Closely resembling an adult person.


Video Poker Tournament - Sam's Town

HTP and I arrived in Vegas at around 2:30 PM. We checked into our room and were told that were were to meet for a pre-tournament reception at 6 PM. People started lining up to get into the reception at around 5:30 PM. I got in line. The line moved quickly...once it started to actually move. When we reached the front of the line we each received a packet with information about the tournament, name tags, and the times for each of our three sessions. We also each received a gift. The gift? Three small crystal vases that match the large vase that we received as a gift for New Year's Eve. Nice.

The reception was nice. Drinks, appetizers and desserts. Finger food. Plenty of food so that HTP and I decided that a dinner following the reception was unnecessary. At the reception some of the tournament rules were clarified. All the practice I put in learning Jacks or Better Video Poker strategy was useless. We were told that we would all be playing Double Double Video Poker. Since I'm familiar with the strategy, I don't believe that I will have any problems. From all that I'm hearing, you REALLY need to get a Royal Flush in order to win the tournament. The goal is to get as many points as you can. 4000 points for a Royal will obviously help accomplish this goal.

Basically, we'll arrive at the playing area 20 minutes before each of our sessions. At this point, we each draw a number from a basket and this number will determine which machine we'll be playing on. I'm not sure if this number drawing happens before each of the sessions or not. I do know that we have three playing sessions which will last 20 minutes...each. Each player will receive 1000 credits to play during the 20 minutes. Your session is done when the 1000 credits are gone or the twenty minutes is done....whichever comes first. Any credits that you haven't played because the twenty minutes are gone and your machine has frozen will be forfeited. After your twenty minute session, someone will come and verify how many points or credits that you won during the session. I was assigned two twenty minute sessions tomorrow (the first day of the tournament) and one twenty minute session on Wednesday (the second and final day of the tournament). The awards ceremony and prize distribution will take place following the final session on the second day.

So...here's what I know for sure. Tomorrow, I need to show up for my first 20 minute session at 9:10 AM. My playing time is at 9:30 AM. My second session is scheduled for 1:30 PM...so I'll have to be there at 1:10 PM. My final session is scheduled for 9:30 AM on Wednesday morning. I need to wear my name tag for the sessions.

Murphyism of the Day

First Law of Revision


Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after -and only after - the plans are complete. (Often call the "Now they tell us!" Law)

Corollary

In simple cases, presenting one obvious righ way versus one obvious wrong way, it is often wiser to choose the wrong way, so as to expedite subsequent revision.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

"What does an actor know about politics?" - President Ronald Reagan, complaining about Screen Actors' Guild president Ed Asner speaking out on U.S. foreign policy

No comments: