Saturday, February 17, 2007




Word of the Day

Aeropalmics - The study of wind resistance conducted by holding a cupped hand out the car window.


I was out getting much needed groceries when I noticed that the gas station, operated and owned by the grocery store, was having a smoking sale on gasoline. 1.99.99/gallon. One day only. The line up of cars looked endless but I braved melting ice cream to get in line with my Chevy. As I sat in line with my car in park, I called HTP on the car phone to let him know about the smoking great deal on gas. I figured that he'd burn rubber on his way out of our neighborhood. He did sound excited. So, when I finally got back to the house, I was surprised to see the car sitting in the driveway. *sigh* Apparently, he was totally excited but he was too busy researching LLC's. So...I put away my melty ice cream and the rest of the groceries, called my neighbor to let her know about the smoking great deal on gas (only she already knew) and I grabbed my other set of car keys and returned to fill our other car with cheap gas. I noted when I arrived that the police had arrived on the scene. I wasn't surprised. Tempers were short the last time I sat in line...with our first car.

I pulled my car (the second car) into line and put it in park...waiting. Patience is a virtue. I waited through three series of two cars fueling in my aisle. See, I noted that two cars were able to fuel at a time on the aisle that I was waiting in. Oops! The car on the first pump (just as I thought I'd be able to pull my car forward) pulled out early and someone coming the opposite direction scooted in to fill his tank...coming from the wrong direction. More waiting. The car in front of me couldn't pull out because this guy who scooted in the wrong way was still fueling. I waited. Patience. There was a long line of cars behind me. Finally "the scooter", with much difficulty, managed to back his car out so our aisle was clear enough for the car in front of me to exit and me to pull my car forward. The way this works is that you pull forward...ALL THE WAY! Etiquette...don'tcha know. In the meantime, as I pulled my car forward so that the car in back of me could fuel up at the tank in back of me, I'm getting a killing glare from some lady that was sitting in a non-existent line. A scooter wannabe line. I can only figure that she planned to follow in the tire prints of the other "scooter". She didn't even bother to hide her anger over the fact that I pulled forward into "her" space. Never mind that she was heading the wrong direction to fill her tank. If looks could kill, I'd be dead right now. I'm rather surprised that she didn't get out of her car to deck me. I ignored her. I figured that if she had the temerity to dispute my claim, I'd let her have it. She didn't. However, she made it almost impossible for me to pull forward after I'd filled my tank. I don't know what the heck she was thinking. All I can figure is that she thought her time was worth far more than mine. I did note that she "scooted" into the vacant spot that I'd vacated as soon as I managed to squidge my way around her. I hope that she found it almost impossible to back out after she fueled. Nasty of me but I REALLY hate the killing glare she gave me. I suppose I would have felt better if I'd marched over to her car while my car was fueling and gave her what for. Closure. A person really needs closure at times like that. Oh well...I guess that's what blogs are for.

Murphyism of the Day

Law of the Lost Inch


In designing any type of construction no overall dimension can be totalled correctly after 4:30 PM on Friday.

Corollaries

1. Under the same conditions, if any minor dimensions are given to sixteenths of an inch, they cannot be totalled at all.

2. The correct total will become self-evident at 9:01 AM on Monday.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

"So that's 24 points for Schumacher and 23 points for Hill-so there's only one point between them if my mental arithmetic is correct." - BBC sports commentator Murray Walker

No comments: