Saturday, July 12, 2003

The fish weren't biting on leeches; not off the dock anyway and I didn't want to take out the boat. The leeches were only attracting crayfish. I did finally catch enough bluegills with "waxies" (a little white grub worm) to ovenfry for supper. I'm going to have to go buy more Shore Lunch. Shore Lunch is the brand of seasoned coating that I use to ovenfry my fish. I usually mix up my own breading mix but Shore Lunch is very good and a lot less bother. When you get older you stray toward those things that make your life as easy as possible. Things like Prego. Frozen stirfry vegetables. Skillet dinners.

I still make my own spaghetti sauce...sometimes. I still cut up my own vegetables...most of the time. Those Lean Cuisine Skillet dinners are GOOD! I thin them out by mixing them up with a bag of frozen vegetables and I've got a really easy, really great tasting meal for 4 people...or two meals for 2 people. NO. The diet is not affecting (or is that effecting...I never get that straight) my mind.

I'm off for an entire day in Minneapolis, Minnesota again today. We're doing a "relative" visit again. My husband is going to go and discuss family genealogy with his cousin. I'm going to go get my hair done while he's doing that. Then we're all meeting at Bucca de Beppo (fine Italian eating establishment) for dinner. It's going to be a late night. I expect we'll be playing our usual game of "Dodge Deer" (similar to that old Comodore 64 game "Frogger") on our way back to Wisconsin tonight. We try not to play "Count the Road Kill". One time when I was growing up, my parents stopped the car to allow my brother to collect a particularly nice raccoon specimen (roadkill encountered on our many return trips from Wisconsin) to bring to his Biology teacher (a practicing taxidermist). I think my mother put the poor thing in the freezer when we got home. I wonder if he got any extra credit for that?

Cliche of the Day

Put on Ice. Set aside; stored; kept in reserve until needed. The ice house or ice box, filled with blocks of ice cut from a lake or a river, predates the gas or electric refrigerator. People were putting food on blocks of ice a century ago to preserve it. The idea transferred readily to things other than food. Paul L. Ford offered this version in The Honorable Peter Stirling (1894): "They say she's never been able to find a man good enough for her, and so she's keeping herself on ice."

No comments: