Tuesday, July 22, 2003

I spent the whole day out on the boat yesterday with my daughter and her boyfriend and we only caught 17 fish. Bluegills. It's not that I don't like bluegills. I actually prefer bluegills to other fish. We only caught 17 fish after spending the whole day out there trying. Fishing was not good. Nothing was really interested in biting. The deerfly were even making themselves scarce. It was so windy out that the boat kept drifting despite its two anchors. The fish never bite real well after it's rained and it rained the other night. It rains here alot. That means that more then half the time the fish would rather eat bugs and worms washed into the lake after a rain storm then anything you can produce to throw out for them attached to a shiny and sharp hook. I can understand that. After eating my daughter's wonderful lasagna last night, I really wasn't interested in dessert afterwards. I was full. But maybe the fish will be biting today. That lasagna sure looked good to me this morning. So did that cookie.

I noticed the leftover lasagna in the fridge this morning when I was getting the eggs for breakfast. Lasagna isn't a breakfast type food or the leftover lasagna would have been history. My daughter makes truly awesome lasagna. She makes great cookies too. I know. I snuck one to have with my coffee this morning....before I reached for the eggs in the fridge when I almost tripped over the lasagna. That cookie along with the preconceived notion that lasagna is not a breakfast food were the only things that saved the lasagna this morning. So back to fishing, I'm thinking that maybe today the fish will be biting. Too bad because today is laundry day and I don't think I'll have the time to go fishing.

Cliche of the Day

Ball Bounces, That's the Way the. You have to be fatalistic; this is how things happen. A variant with the same meaning is "That's the way the cookie crumbles." Both expressions seem to have originated in the United States some 30 years ago. The bouncing ball in many games, particularly football, is notably unpredictable; the player has to deal with whatever bounce he gets.

No comments: