Saturday, July 26, 2003

It's really quiet here this morning. My dogs are over at my folks' place still and everyone is asleep. I better run over and get the dogs. I bet it's really noisy over at my folks' place. If it gets any quieter here I'll imagine that I'm going deaf. Actually the noise coming from my computer fan and the dehumidifier down in the basement remove any possibility of that being the case. That dehumidifier (GoldStar) may cause eventual deafness it's so loud but what can you do? One must dehumidify basements in Wisconsin. I can't find a dehumidifier that doesn't make so much noise. How much noise does this humidifier make? Well...there may be someone racing their Harley down there. Failing that there may be two bears snarling or snoring in my laundry room. I may have to do a web search and see if I can find one dehumidifier out there somewhere that will work in silent contentment...or just like one bear snoring in the basement. I'll just have to decide whether I want one or two bears sleeping in my basement. Is it even worth the money to make a change? Decisions, Decisions!

Cliche of the Day

Fall Between Two Stools. To fail or not act because of indecision over two choices (said often of a problem that lands between two people or agencies that might be expected to deal with it). One can imagine a person so absentminded or distracted as to miss each of two nearby seats, landing between them. An old form of the saying is "Between two stools one goes [or falls] to the ground." The Romans had a similar expression. In English it was recognized as familiar by 1390, when it appeared in John Gower's Confessio Amantis: "Bot it is seid...Between two Stoles lyth the fal." In 1536 it appeared in a book of proverbs as "Between two stolis, the ars goth to grwnd."

No comments: