Friday, July 11, 2003

The fish weren't biting so I baited my crayfish traps. Wow! No wonder the fish weren't biting. I couldn't believe how many crayfish I caught. My husband keeps telling me that bass really love crayfish. Unfortunately, there is a law here in Wisconsin that says that you can't use crayfish as bait. Apparently, some enterprising salespeople sold some non-native crayfish to fishermen and the non-native crayfish are now polluting the Wisconsin lakes. So now, no-one is allowed to use any crayfish as bait...even if said crayfish are caught in the same lake that you plan to fish in because the wardens can't tell if you are fishing with native crayfish or foreign crayfish. Apparently, they all look alike. So now I'm wondering if all those crayfish I just caught in my traps are native crayfish or foreign crayfish. They all boiled and cleaned up just fine and will make a great crayfish cocktail for my next party. After I get off the computer I'll have to go check the traps again. Maybe I'll bait up with a leech and see if any actual fish are biting today. With any luck at all, we'll have a fish fry tonight.

Cliche of the Day

Other things Being Equal. Provided that nothing outweighs the matter you are considering or is changing in its effect on the matter. The phrase is a translation of the Latin ceteris paribus, which is occasionally still used to convey the thought. In 1889 the Saturday Review offered: "Other things being equal, the chances of any man being hit in action vary...with the rate of fire to which he is exposed." (If The New Yorker had been on the scene then, it might have run the sentence from Saturday Review under its heading, A Thought for This Week.)

No comments: