Wednesday, July 23, 2003

I went out raspberry picking this morning. Perfect weather for it. My resultant walk was well over a mile. I didn't notice the distance so there were no complaints about the distance as this was a solitary expedition. It was just cool enough to tolerate the necessary long-sleeves and long pants. Even with the liberal use of mosquito dope, long sleeved shirts and jeans are a must. Aside from the obvious mosquito protection, long sleeves and jeans help keep your arms from being shredded by the thorns. On occasion, a stray thorny branch will steal my hat. I steal it back. A bare head is the target of every deerfly in the vicinity. The obvious question is: "Why the heck does this crazy lady go out berry picking?" Unless you've had Wild Raspberry Jam, you will never know. Wild raspberries are an experience that you shouldn't miss. I didn't get enough berries today to make my jam but I made a good start. I have enough for our dessert tonight and an equal amount to freeze until I accumulate enough for jam-making. The raspberries are just starting. In a couple of days I'll sally forth to pick again. There will be Wild Raspberry Jam in my pantry for the winter.

Cliche of the Day

Child of Nature. An innocent or naive person. William Wordsworth has it, and may have originated it, in "To a Young Lady, Who Had Been Reproached for Taking Long Walks in the Country," which begins,

Dear Child of Nature, let them rail!
--There is a nest in the green dale,
A harbour and a hold;
Where thou, a Wife and Friend, shalt see
Thy own delightful days, and be
A light to young and old.

No comments: