Thursday, July 17, 2003

I'm sorry. I've been pretty rough on "weekenders". After all, when I was growing up I was a "weekender". Both my sister and my brother are still "weekenders". I suppose I should be more specific in the direction my displeasure runs. Some "weekenders" are totally obnoxious. Some people can be totally obnoxious. It becomes especially apparent on weekends when they throw out any and all concideration for anyone but themselves. A few of them can be forgiven because if they knew they were being thoughtless, they just may fix the problem. Unfortunately, the majority of them could care less about anyone but themselves. I know that come Monday morning, I'll be fishing beer cans and bottles out of the lake again. Plastic bags, pop cans, water bottles and candy wrappers. Litter bugs are an even worse problem then woodticks. And then the noise! The big lake is too big for them so they all pile onto our little lake through the channel to do their jetskiing and water-skiing. Someone finally put up buoys to mark the channel as a NO WAKE zone. HA! That doesn't happen. Apparently, some "weekenders" leave their reading glasses at home and at work. OK. I've vented. I'll be OK.

I did say that I was going to have company. I have company. They arrived earlier then I was expecting but all I had to do was make up the bed and put out clean towels. I really do love showing off our lake to people. I'm going to take them fishing....next week. Not this weekend. It's the BlueGill Festival this weekend. There will be way too many people on the lake tearing back and forth to get any actual fishing done. I'll take them out to see The BlueGill Bar where we can play pool. We'll do the tourist thing. There's usually a street dance and the pancake breakfast. We can watch the parade go down Main Street. The Lions Club always has a Beer Garden set up with BBQ'd chicken. Then we can cheer for the Birchwood Fire Department as they battle the fire departments from the surrounding communities in the annual water fights. I think Haugen won last year. Then maybe we'll all go over to The Porch for a double-decker ice cream cone. And for supper..... there is always the annual All-You-Can-Eat Bluegill Feed. I can't name all of the three days of events. Think Norman Rockwell and you'll be fairly close.

Cliche of the Day

Up and About (Doing). Moving into action; resuming activity after an illness. It doesn't sound like a poetic phrase, but Henry Wadsworth Longfellow employed it in "A Psalm of Life" (1838), which also includes the familiar "Life is real! Life is earnest!" and "Art is long, and Time is fleeting." The last verse is:

Let us, then, be up and doing,
With a heart for any fate;
Still achieving, still pursuing,
Learn to labor and to wait.



No comments: