Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Word of the Day

Mandals - Sandals for men.

I've thrown open the windows to let the fresh air in. According to my wireless thermometer, it's 79°F outside right now, and that's in the shade. My backyard sensor is always in the shade. Everyday I've been closely examining my ficus nitida for signs of life. None so far. My only hope is that budding will occur sometime between now and mid-March. Failing that, I'll be replacing four large trees (ficus nitida), one small tree (thevetia), and one hibiscus. There may be other plants that need replacing but those are the most obvious that took the full brunt of our cold winter temperatures.

I'm really getting tired of the Islamic cartoon hoopla. It seems to me the rioters are just reinforcing an image that the cartoonist drew. As far as I'm concerned the cartoonist didn't need to draw these cartoons. The violent actions of these Islamists have gone a long way toward drawing these images in most of our minds. When I saw that cartoon, I saw a certain amount of truth. Sad truth. How else am I to interpret jets being flown into buildings where thousands died, honor killings and rapes, stonings, Bibles shredded, intolerance of all but your supposed true religion, be-headings, flag-burning, bombs, suicide bombers, and these riots that tell me that I'm not free to write in many minds even that which I've written so far in this last paragraph much less draw a picture that illustrates the evil far more clearly than I ever could? Word of advice. If you want me to respect Islam as a religion of peace, stop killing people in the name of God. Stop beating people up in the name of God. In my humble opinion, God has absolutely nothing to do with your violent and evil actions. I'm told that the majority of Muslims are horrified by the actions of a few. I'm told that Islam is truly a religion of peace. Sorry guys, that's not what I've seen so far. You'll have to show me. I'd love to have you show me all about it.

Well there I go again. Politics and religion are things that I promised myself that I wouldn't write about. Sorry. Sometimes events occur that warrant a divergence from the norm. Just because I don't write my thoughts on a subject doesn't mean that I have none.

Murphyism of the Day

Baldridge's Law

If we knew what we were getting into we would never get into anything.

No comments: