Friday, February 10, 2006

Word of the Day

Mathological - Why high school arithmetic makes sense.

I'm the type of person that allows other people take advantage of me. I will even go so far as to say that I let people bully me into doing all kinds of stuff that I just don't want to do, that I'd never want to do. I'm aware of this. It's not that I'm a really nice person even though I am. I think it's a measure of laziness on my part. It just takes too much energy to say "No". Guilt and arguments just take so much out of you. It's just so much easier to say "Yes" and slog through it then to say "No" sometimes. Actually, my best defense is to disappear before anyone can ask me to do anything that I'd really like to say "No" to. I can actually hear this little voice in my head screaming "Run! Run Away!" when I see that certain look in some people's eyes.

Anyway, I figure that I've hit an all time low. Today I let my coffee-maker bully me. For days I've been fighting back but it continued to flash "Clean" on its tiny screen. "Clean Me! Clean Me Now!" It's taken a lot out of me to ignore the demands from this kitchen appliance. It's a kitchen appliance! It's not the minister's wife! I can say "No". What kind of weenie have I become?! I mean, I've cleaned the dang thing twice since we've been back here in Arizona. My coffee-maker in Wisconsin isn't this demanding. I never hear a single complaint from my coffee-maker in Wisconsin.

OK. I give! I'm addicted to coffee. I don't want to find out that my Arizona coffee-maker decides to go on strike some morning because I ignored all the "Clean" demands. I don't think there's a "Broken" or "Hopelessly Clogged" notice on its screen. I had to dig out the cleaning instructions. Read them. Interpret them. Who writes these instructions? I think this is another case of out-sourcing. Oh well, since I refuse to run out to the store to find that special Mr. Coffee Coffee-maker cleaner, I had to dig out the white vinegar. ONE QUART!!!!????? I have to waste one whole quart of white vinegar to clean this dang thing?! Thank goodness I buy my vinegar by the gallon. I'm sure that vinegar is a lot cheaper than having to buy Mr. Coffee Coffee-maker cleaner which, quite frankly, I doubt I'd be able to find. Afterall, I couldn't find the Mr. Coffee filters and I went to two stores. Anyway, now my kitchen smells like a pickle factory and I don't have any pickles to show for it. But my coffee-maker isn't flashing that stupid "clean" notice anymore. I suppose I'll have to clean the microwave now or it'll be jealous. And then the oven? And the refrigerator? Will it never end?

Murphyism of the Day

Philo's Law

To learn from your mistakes, you must first realize that you are making mistakes.

No comments: