Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Word of the Day

Touron - A not-so-smart tourist.

16 Days and a Wake Up And We Hit the Road*

I thought that my dental appointment this morning would be quick and easy. I thought that this would be my very last dental appointment for this year. I figured, how long can it take to go in and pick up a mouth guard? Good grief! They fitted it , they fiddled with it, they fitted it again, they fiddled some more. Bite down. Bite harder. Grind your teeth to the right. Grind your teeth forward. Grind your teeth to the left. Where is it hitting harder? And it went on and on and on. They'd work on the "appliance" some more. That horrible sound of the drill but I know it's not a drill but it sounds like one. This thing is no longer called a mouth guard. It's an "appliance". They fitted my "appliance" in and out of my mouth. And they expected me to converse with them with the "appliance" in my mouth. Believe you me, my diction is going to be perfect after wearing this "appliance" and having to make myself understood. I felt like I was trying out for a role in My Fair Lady. "The rain in Spain stays mainly on the plain." Lisp, slurp, lisp. And it doesn't end with this visit. I have to go back and have them fiddle and fit some more in a couple of weeks. All this so I don't grind my teeth at night? Oh...and can I please wear it during the day? Only if it's convenient. I won't even go into how I'm supposed to keep this thing clean and non-stinky. Oh well...at least I won't be swallowing any marbles as I lisp merrily into song...."The rain in Spain stays mainly on the plain, The rain in Spain stays mainly on the plain....The plain, the plain....In Spain, in Spain..."

Murphyism of the Day

Morris's Law of Conferences

The most interesting paper will be scheduled simultaneously with the second most interesting paper.

* Disclaimer: The countdown has started but it isn't written in blood. I make mistakes and we all know that you just can't pin down life like a bug on a entomology class display board.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It might help headaches. My grandson has/had one. Boy did it get chewed up. I guess he really needed it!