Sunday, October 15, 2006

Word of the Day

Truction - A combination of truth and fiction.

5 Days and a Wake Up And We Hit the Road

I used to be immortal. A friend of mine sent me some beautiful pictures someone had taken on The Road to Death in Bolivia. It was one of those e-mail forwards that she sends me on occasion. The thing is that....I've been on that road and ones just like it! I don't recall them calling it Road of Death but I might not have been paying too much attention to anything back then but the views. I lived, traveled, and explored in Bolivia for a year. Funny...that road didn't seem so bad back when I was 18 years old. Of course back then I traveled light on those old rickety buses with locals and their chickens or guinea pigs. I was immortal back then. Traveling through the mountains like that with the mists rising from the valley below...gorgeous.

I'm not sure when I started losing my immortality. Was it when I quit smoking? Was it when I decided school was more important that breaking my leg going down some ski slope? Was it when I trundled my children down to the basement during a tornado warning instead of staying to watch from an outside deck as was my desire? Immortality kind of snuck away from me as I got older. I don't even recall because its departure was so silent. When I looked at my son and his young cousin the other day, I could clearly see that they were still immortal. I haven't seen my daughters for a while but somehow I think they're losing bits and pieces of their immortality. Maybe you lose a bit of your immortality when you have to start paying for your own doctor bills. Or maybe it's when you realize the risk isn't worth the cost and you really know what things cost. I'm not sure when I became completely mortal, or even realized that I was. Looking back on it, maybe it was the year that I registered as a Republican.

Murphyism of the Day

Herbert's Law

A bureaucracy is an organization that has raised stupidity to the status of religion.

No comments: