Saturday, October 21, 2006

Word of the Day

Twigology - The study of Twiggy

This has been one long day but despite all obstacles we completed our mission for the day. We arrived at our hotel in Dillon, Colorado at around 6:30 PM MDT. We started our journey at 8 AM...Nebraska time. If we'd known that the traffic on a Saturday in October would be so incredibly awful, we may have left a bit earlier in the day. No sooner than we left the parking lot of the hotel, heading for the freeway, it became apparent that something was horribly wrong on the freeway, the very freeway that we had planned to use, that exits Omaha heading for Lincoln. We decided to take a slight detour instead of entering the freeway to join the other poor souls stuck on what looked like the biggest parking lot in Nebraska. I had visions of a horrific accident. Blood and gore everywhere. Turns out when The Huskers are playing in Nebraska, everyone in Nebraska decides to go to the game at the same time. All this traffic for a football game? When traffic finally cleared up beyond Lincoln, when we finally stopped seeing big red N flags and people wearing red, we decided that we'd better check the Husker's football schedule next fall when we make plans for our return to Arizona. On top of all this, it was raining and snowing. Yuck!

As we drove along...suddenly....we saw a UFO in the sky. It was bright. It was shiny. You couldn't even look at it without hurting your eyes. Someone call Art Bell! Oh....nevermind...it was the sun. The roads dried out but the temperatures remained cold...really cold. I'm not sure what the windchill was but my dogs didn't want to leave the relative warmth of their kennel to take their walks. I think Muggsy would have bitten me if she actually had enough teeth to do any damage. She gummed me. I persisted. No dog of mine is going to get away with gumming me. I didn't want to go out for a walk either. We went for a walk.

The weather wasn't actually too bad today until we got to the mountains of Colorado. Snow! Blowing snow! Mess up your windshield snow! I'm glad I wasn't driving at that point. HTP would have been a nervous wreck. We saw a couple of Big Horn sheep stumbling along by the side of the road. How do they walk with those big huge racks on their heads? Amazing! Even more amazing? My Mom and Dad, traveling in their minivan behind us, didn't notice them. Mom told me that they were watching the road. I imagine she meant that she was watching the gathering snow and ice in growing horror. Thankfully, just then, a sanding truck pulled out in front of all of us attempting to travel the Loveland Pass. We decided that despite the fact that the sanding truck was moving at a rather slow pace, we'd follow him. We weren't the only ones that decided that we really didn't need to test the road in front of that truck. Speed was not an issue at this point.

We here. Time for bed. Tomorrow is another day. We hope to finally encounter warmer weather tomorrow after we exit the freezing temps of the Colorado mountains. Brrrr!!!!! Oh...my dogs really hate the snow. However, Muggsy has decided that gumming my hand won't keep me from taking her out in the snow. Hah!

Murphyism of the Day

Gates's Law

The only important information in a hierarchy is who knows what.

No comments: