Thursday, July 12, 2007


Gaillardia

Word of the Day

Chipfault - The stress point on a potato chip where it breaks off and stays behind in the dip.


Yesterday I sallied forth in search of the illusive wild raspberry. While out picking the few and far between wild raspberries, I stumbled across a rare wild gooseberry bush with smooth berries (as opposed to prickly). I picked all that I could pick. Pie. I'm going to make a wild gooseberry pie. Yummy. It took two hours to clean the wild raspberries and prep them for freezing. I only managed to find 2 cups of the wild raspberries which smashed down to 1 cup...I froze this one cup and will have to hunt another day. It looks like we'll be getting more...in a few days. I'm going to have to pick a lot more berries to have enough (5 cups crushed) for wild raspberry jam. On the plus side, I cleaned up and measured out 3 cups of smooth gooseberries. That's enough for a nice pie at some future day. I froze the gooseberries for future use.

Today? Sis and I worked on our wine-making project. We transferred our aging tubs to the basement and will check on them again in late August or early September. We started another batch of rhubarb wine which we'll re-visit next week at the same time we need to drain the must out of the gooseberry wine before getting it ready to age along with the rest of the wines in my basement.

We also did a bit of gardening. Sis gave me a gaillardia to plant in my garden from some that my Grandmother had growing by her cabin up here at The Lake. I hope it'll survive my transplant efforts. In turn, Sis took a couple of plants from my flower garden. A balloon flower that had volunteered in a spot where I didn't want it and a couple of red violas. Ditto, I hope they survive their transplant.

We've had a few showers today already. We may get more this afternoon. Since we need the rain, I'm not complaining.

Murphyism of the Day

Jone's Third Law of TV Programming


The show you've been looking forward to all week will be preempted.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

A single day is enough to make us a little larger. -- Paul Klee

No comments: