Saturday, March 08, 2008


The Lake

Word of the Day

Funkafy - To make something funky. To add more spice, life, color, or zing!


Live in tech support is a wonderful thing. I don't know what other people end up having to do when they need tech support. I'm married to my tech support guy. I KNOW that I can't fix most of the stuff that goes wrong on my computer. This morning it was my Outlook email that decided to quit working. It's not like I get a whole heck of a lot of emails every day but I do get some. Mostly my emails are assorted spam but not all. I like to read my emails. I like the funnies that people send me. I could live without the spam and phishing stuff but I've got time to sort and weed. That's why one has the delete button. The thing was that I was getting error messages with big red exclamation marks on them whenever my Outlook looked for email. It refused to connect to my server...but...I was connected to the Internet. Yahoo was working. Huh? This is where my live in tech support comes in handy. HTP asked me what I'd done last night that may have caused the problem. I'd installed IM for Myspace. Works great, by the way. Thankfully, HTP was about to check that one out and dismissed it as a problem. I hate to hear all the grumbling and lectures when HTP has to uninstall something that I've installed on my computer.

Thank you HTP! He figured it out. He kicked me out of the room because I was hovering so while I was working on my morning Sudoku with Gypsy, HTP (my live in tech support guy) figured out how to fix my computer. It's running fine now. He told me what he did but the explanation floated like an big fat red helium filled balloon over my head and settled into the ether world somewhere. Something about a clash between Norton's Security and Microsoft Updates. Apparently, I'm not the only poor soul out in internetland that has encountered this particular email problem. HTP managed to fix the problem and my email is working fine....at least...I didn't have any emails but I'm sure that's because it's a Saturday and I don't get too many emails on Saturdays.

Murphyism of the Day

Principle of Operating Systems


Computers are an intelligence sink; there is no level of genius that cannot find its match in system design.

The Microsoft Corollary

It takes hundreds of geniuses to make a complex thing simple.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

Sanity calms, but madness is more interesting.

- John Russell

No comments: