Saturday, July 05, 2008


Get-together at Sis' Place - May 2008

Word of the Day

Inflaminate - The instant reaction of something setting on fire.


Woodtick Count - 36

My brother and his family are here at The Lake. They arrived at their cabin after dark last night. Unfortunately, they found that they couldn't get their water running until this morning. Thankfully, they were able to borrow water from my folks' place to tide them over until the plumber got here early this morning to fix things. The nice thing about living here at The Lake is that the plumber will actually come out to fix things when you find yourself in an emergency situation. I can't say that I'd find similar results in any other place that I've lived.

I got a call early this morning. We all thought it would be nice if we could all get together for a family meal this afternoon. Mom called me. Mom called Sis. Sis called me. We're throwing together a potluck-type meal at Sis' house. Sis and I worked out a meal menu. I made angel food cake. MC Daughter cut up and sugared the strawberries. I took the Cool Whip out of the freezer. Sis has pulled pork. I have some riblets. BBQ. MC Daughter mixed up the coleslaw. I've got a list. D Buddy just needs to go out and get some buns and some ice for the beer/beverage cooler. We're good to go.

I picked and cleaned 3 1/2 quarts of prickly gooseberries yesterday afternoon. The mosquitoes were so thick, I was afraid to open my mouth (the only part of my body that I hadn't sprayed with mosquito repellent). Too bad the ticks weren't scared off by all the repellent. HTP had to dig one out of my back this morning. The others I was able to take care of myself....yesterday. The one that HTP dug out of my back went onto today's woodtick count. Hopefully, as I don't intend to pick any more gooseberries today, I won't find any more of the little buggers until maybe tomorrow or the next day.

The burrs are starting to find their way into poor Gypsy's coat. I've had to make a nightly check of her feet and ears, combing out the little burrs so they don't get even more tangled into her ears and in the hair between her toes. These burrs aren't the huge prickly kind. They're more like little Velcro beads...the size of a small BB. I hate to even think about the bigger burrs or those sticky half moon seeds that cling to everything later toward Fall. Gypsy is going to have to get used to all these grooming sessions. She's not fond of the comb but there just isn't any other way to get the burrs out.

Murphyism of the Day

First Rule of the Political Pollsters


When the polls are in your favor, flaunt them.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

To want to be what one can be is purpose in life.

- Cynthia Ozick

No comments: