Sunday, July 20, 2008


HTP and Me at HTP's Cousin's Wedding - July 11, 2008

Word of the Day

Intpossibility - Something that is a possible to do over the Internet.


Woodtick Count - 42

I went out berry picking yesterday. Wild raspberries. I didn't get enough to do anything with but just enough to know that they aren't too plentiful this year and note where the wild hazelnut tree grove is located. I also noted that if we continue to get enough rain, we'll have a huge crop of blackberries this year. Oh...and that the woodticks are still active. In the meantime, I'm getting LOTS of tame raspberries (I've already picked several pints) which makes me consider NOT picking the wild variety. Huge tame raspberries versus teeny-tiny wild raspberries which usually end up being wormy and buggy. The thing is that the wild raspberries usually have lots more flavor but I'm not getting any younger and it's a lot harder to see the bugs than it used to be. I may stick to my tame raspberry bushes this year and go out and pick the blackberries for wine-making toward the middle of August.

Aside from the tame raspberries, it looks like my blueberries are finally beginning to ripen and my garden is starting to produce. I picked five zucchini this morning...along with the male squash blossoms. I also picked my first cucumber. I really should go out and pick the sugarsnap peas but I think they can wait until tomorrow. I'll have to start picking and canning green beans soon too. Tomatoes? They're still green but that's no big surprise.

#1 Son has gone back to The Big City. I made him some squash blossoms for breakfast. That's not why he left. He happens to like fried squash blossoms...so do I. He's got to get back to The Big City because he's got classes and work. Besides, he finished up his laundry.

Murphyism of the Day

Napolean's Observation

Rascality has limits; stupidity has not.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

Deeds, not stones, are the true monuments of the great.

- John L. Motley (1814 - 1877)

No comments: