Thursday, July 17, 2008


My Tame Raspberries are Getting Ripe

Word of the Day

Internet leech - A person who uses only free AOL trial disks to access the Internet, without ever paying for it.


Although we did get a spit of rain yesterday, there wasn't enough to measure. I wish someone would take that umbrella down. I'm going to have to water my garden and my lawn if we don't get any of today's promised rain. It is overcast, so maybe.

In the meantime, I took down all my hummingbird feeders and using this neat new brush, cleaned them, sparkling clean, and then refilled them with fresh nectar. The hummingbirds have returned in mass, diving and swooping....real aerial battles out there on my deck.

I finally found a use for all the egg yolks that I've been discarding every morning when I cook up our egg white omelets. My sister found a cookie recipe that calls for egg yolks. Of course, I can't actually receive a recipe and then not alter it to my own specifications. That's a me thing. I used the basic recipe which Sis clipped out of the newspaper....but HTP prefers almond extract to vanilla. I didn't have any cream of tartar so...I left it out. I had eight egg yolks, not six. Oh...and because I like my cookies a bit softer....I used butter-flavored shortening instead of butter. I did use sugar but...next time?...I may use a sugar substitute. And then....HTP asked me, "Isn't there a reason that you carefully separate the eggs and toss out the yolks?" *sigh* He's right. There is a a reason that HTP and I don't eat the egg yolks but I really hate to waste them. Besides, this recipe made five dozen cookies...worst case, four dozen. That means that there are only two egg yolks per dozen cookies....doing the math...that means that each cookie has 1/6th of an egg yolk. As long as I don't sit down an eat a dozen cookies in a day, that's not a whole heck of a lot of egg yolks per serving. However, I am going to have to look into turning this into a sugarfree cookie. I already ate three cookies with my coffee this morning. Hey! They're really good! But...that's all I ate for breakfast so I don't think anyone needs to send for the diet police.

However, I may munch on the raspberries that I picked yesterday. Later. Maybe with lunch. I ended up with at least a pint. I noted on Gypsy and my morning perimeter check that picking raspberries may become a daily thing. When I picked yesterday, I picked even the raspberries with just a tinge of pink. They ripened on the countertop overnight. There's lots more pink berries today but...I'll wait and pick again tomorrow...even though I'm risking the birds and the chipmunks getting to them before I can.

Murphyism of the Day

Shaw's Political Principle


A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

All human situations have their inconveniences. We feel those of the present but neither see nor feel those of the future; and hence we often make troublesome changes without amendment, and frequently for the worse.

- Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

1 comment:

D. Skippy said...

I bet I could eat a dozen cookies in one day. Easily. Not saying it would be too grand for my diet, but I bet I could do it without realizing how many I ate.