Sunday, July 06, 2008


Tick and Burr Magnet - June 2008

Word of the Day

Infomoron - An infomercial stand-in specialized in the task of showing the audience just how difficult commonplace tools or equipment can be to use, giving them ample reason to buy the new product.


Wood Tick Count - 36

It's going to be hot and sticky today. Summer has arrived. The deerflies have returned as well as the midges. For some reason the midges seem to like to die at my doorstep, leaving drifts of the little creatures that need to be swept off the front steps or you end up tracking them throughout the house.

I actually picked and cleaned some radishes from my garden yesterday. Radishes are one thing that I have a really difficult time growing here at The Lake. I don't know if it's our climate, the acidity of the soil, or too much nitrogen, or what. I just haven't been able to grow radishes. Half of the seed that I planted (granted that it was REALLY old seed) didn't produce anything but green tops. However, I did end up with a little over a dozen radishes. So...this morning, when I was out picking lettuce, I planted another row of radishes (same REALLY old seed). We'll see what comes up.

I'm boiling up another batch of crayfish this morning. We all really enjoyed the crayfish appetizer that Sis and I served yesterday at our family get-together. Crayfish meat on a bed of cream cheese, a drizzle of cocktail sauce over the whole and just a squeeze of lemon. Of course, MC Daughter didn't eat any...she's really weirded out about eating anything that looks kind of like a big bug. I don't think she appreciated the fact that I had a bucket (covered) of live crayfish sitting in the kitchen sink this morning. They were all squidgling about in the bucket while she was pouring her morning coffee. Hey! I had to put them somewhere while I was waiting for the water to come up to a boil. It's not like she had to see them or anything. The bucket was covered...to prevent escapees from wandering around the kitchen. Believe me...that HAS happened, even with a covered bucket.

I really should go out and pick some more gooseberries some time today. It's just that I don't really look forward to adding to my wood tick count. Maybe I'll hold off so I can spend more time with MC Daughter and D Buddy. They'll be hitting the road, heading off toward new beginnings and adventures on Tuesday of next week. It's going to be really quiet here after they're gone.

Murphyism of the Day

Second Rule of the Political Pollsters


When the polls are overwhelmingly unfavorable,(a)ridicule and dismiss them; or(b)stress the volatility of public opinion.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

The universal brotherhood of man is our most precious possession.

- Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had the small amount of leftover crayfish appetizer for breakfast this morning. YUM :)

Sis

Old Grey Frog said...

Me? I had some of my radishes with toast this morning. LOL. Tasted great! Of course, if I'd remembered to grab the crayfish appetizer leftovers..... I'll have to put cream cheese on the shopping list. I just cooked up and froze some more crayfish.