Wednesday, November 05, 2008


The Awesome Ms. En

Word of the Day

Mentoree - One having a mentor; the beneficiary of a mentorship.


I would be remiss if I didn't mark in my blog a historical event. Yesterday was Election Day. The majority of people in the USA decided that Barack Obama should be elected President Barack Obama for the next four years. He made a lot of promises. Politicians always make promises. It will be interesting to see in the next four years if he actually can fulfill these promises. There will be many people who will be more than just disappointed if the one that they voted for falls from the elevated pedestal where they've placed him. I'm not praying for this eventuality. I'm praying for just the reverse. If I sound pessimistic, it's because I tend to be cynical when it comes to government and politicians.

****

Kefir Madness. Before HTP and I left The Lake, Sis gave me some kefir grains. I've been enjoying the kefir milk that I've been making. It tastes like buttermilk. I do love a nice cold glass of buttermilk. Actually, I've decided that I like my kefir milk even more than store-bought buttermilk.

During the month that I've been back here in Arizona, my kefir grains have multiplied. I think I have three times as many grains as when I started. Sooo....? I now can experiment with some of the other uses for kefir....recipes that call for more kefir milk. Cheese recipes.

I'm just dipping my toe into this new kefir madness. Sis tells me that I can use the kefir milk in any recipe that calls for buttermilk. However, you lose the benefits of kefir when you cook it so I haven't used my kefir milk for things like pancakes or muffins. Besides, things like pancakes and muffins aren't on my diet. However, the salad dressing recipes that I'm seeing that use kefir milk sound wonderful and I plan to try them.

My first "toe dip" into finding other uses for my kefir milk took place a couple of days ago. I made something called Kefir-Leban. Kefir-Leban is made when you pour your kefir milk into a cotton bag (tight weave)and let the whey drip and seperate out for 24 hours. What you end up with is Kefir-Leban which has the same consistancy and (in my humble opinion)the same taste as cream cheese. I can use my Kefir-Leban in any recipe that calls for cream cheese. I've got a second batch of Kefir-Leban started. HTP and I don't use too much cream cheese but since I've been using skim milk? I may make a nice no-bake cheesecake using a sugarfree sweetener. I've also got company coming for Thanksgiving and I'll serve a couple cream cheese dips with crackers. I'm also thinking of making something called Congetella (a fresh mozzarella using kefir milk). If all my "toe dip" experiments work out well, I may even try making Kefeddar (a formed cheddar-like cheese).

My wine doesn't need much attention right now. I need to rack the new wines before Thanksgiving but then it'll be on its own again until just before Christmas. My citrus hasn't ripened enough to make Arancello or Limoncello. Right now is the perfect time to experiment with kefir. Kefir Madness.

Murphyism of the Day

Johnson's Law


The number of minor illnesses among the employees is inversely proportional to the health of the organization.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

A certain amount of opposition is a great help to a man; it is what he wants and must have to be good for anything. Hardship and opposition are the native soil of manhood and self-reliance.

- John Neal

No comments: