Thursday, November 20, 2008



Word of the Day

Miserability - The measurement of how miserable one is at any given moment; the maximum level of one's ability to be miserable.


If at first you don't succeed..... Congetella. I tried to make a batch of a mozzarella-style cheese this morning using kefir, whole milk, some chives, and some basil. Fail. Back to the drawing board...or the Internet. Using the pot of milk that was cooling on the stove and had never congealed, I made a second attempt. Apparently, my idea of gently stirring something isn't the same as other people's idea of gently stirring stuff. In other words, you REALLY need to hardly even stir this stuff or you're going to lose your curds. Plus, the recipe isn't all that clear. I think you have to heat the milk and herbs up to 80°C before you add in the kefir milk...drizzling it into the pan. Anyway, this latest attempt netted me some curds. I'm not sure if I'll end up with what I should end up with but I squeezed out as much whey as I could, compacting the balls of curds before tossing them into some ice water to sit for the next 30 minutes. We'll see what I end up with later. It kind of tastes like fresh mozzarella....maybe....I hope.

Murphyism of the Day

Handy Office Excuse - Number Eight


We don't make many mistakes.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

Nothing shocks me. I'm a scientist.

- Harrison Ford, as Indiana Jones.

No comments: