Wednesday, November 19, 2008




Word of the Day

Misembalm - 1. To embalm the wrong person or any other life form. 2. To botch the embalming of a person or other life form.


I finally got around to cleaning the chandelier yesterday. HTP did not help me with the chandelier but that wasn't his fault. I just decided to start on the project when he was gone. It wasn't that difficult. I didn't even need a ladder since I was able to stand on my dining room table. I have a sturdy dining room table (read : it didn't collapse). Somehow cleaning a REALLY dirty chandelier (and my chandelier was REALLY dirty) is a lot more satisfying that cleaning a chandelier that isn't so dirty. I suppose that's why I've been putting off this particular chore. That, and the fact that you pretty much have to take the dang thing apart to wash it and every time you take it apart and put it back together you risk breaking one or more of the parts. I do have some replacement pieces but this chandelier came from Murano, Italy. It's one of a kind. I don't have replacement pieces for the whole thing. One of the pieces that I didn't have a replacement for broke during our last move. I ended up gluing it with glass glue and you can't really see where it broke unless you're the person who glued the thing back together. Actually, I didn't even remember the break until I was up on the dining room table cleaning that part of the chandelier that I have to clean in place because that part of the chandelier is just too hard to take down unless you're moving the whole chandelier from one house to another. Anyway, I got the whole chandelier cleaned without incident. I didn't fall off the table. I didn't break any of the main chandelier parts. I did break a light bulb when I dropped a brass fitting on it. Praise the Lord that the fitting didn't fall on one of the glass flowers. Bulbs can be replaced. I have a box of extra chandelier bulbs in the linen closet. When that fitting fell, my heart leaped into my throat and stopped beating for a second. If I'd lost one of those hand-blown glass flowers, I'd have felt horrible...even though I have some replacement flowers in the garage. I don't want to be the first in our family to have to use one of the replacement pieces. Hopefully, I won't even be around when one of my great-great grandchildren breaks one of those flowers and gets yelled at by their Mom and Dad. HTP and I bought this chandelier. I'm hoping to pass it down to the next generation some day....intact.

I never got around to taking a training walk with Gypsy yesterday. HTP picked up the mail and I just didn't feel like taking a walk after cleaning the chandelier. However, no matter how stiff and sore I was this morning, I didn't want to skip another training walk. We showed off in front of Jack's owner and his friends. Jack's owner and friends always seem to gather in the mornings for a cup of coffee and conversation and they wave at Gypsy and me as we take our training walks. Jack is a buff-colored Cocker Spaniel who would really love to cross the street to meet and greet Gypsy but he's a very well-behaved dog...off leash, and stays by his owner's side. Good dog. Someday, I hope that Gypsy will be that obedient. However, she did very well and showed off her sit/stay and finish.

Whenever I think the house is totally clean, I see something that needs cleaning. This morning it was the top of the fridge and the top of the china hutch in the kitchen. And the kitchen light really should be cleaned too. It may not glitter and shine like the chandelier in the dining room but...it still needs cleaning . Maybe this afternoon.

Murphyism of the Day

Handy Office Excuse - Lucky Number Seven


Wait till the boss comes back and ask him.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

Most advances in science come when a person for one reason or another is forced to change fields.

-Peter Borden

No comments: