Monday, November 24, 2008


Racking Wine

Word of the Day

Mongo - 1. To be overly big for one's size; namely a human who is big boned but not otherwise fat. 2. Someone who is overly big for one's size; namely someone who is big-boned, but not otherwise fat.


The music director at church stopped by last week to drop off my orchestra music. If she hadn't dropped off the music, I have to admit, I probably wouldn't have gone to the scheduled orchestra practice yesterday. I would have taken Gypsy for a walk. Oh well...I must say that playing Christmas music, even at an early hour of the morning, does tend to get your blood moving. Maybe, just maybe, I'll eventually get into the mood for Christmas....eventually.

I didn't feel like racking the pomegranate wines or the prickly pear wine but it was either rack the wine yesterday or rack it in a week when I have to work on the pyracantha wine again. Since just racking the pomegranate wines and the prickly pear wine wore me out, I'm glad I took care of this job yesterday. At least this way I don't have to mess with it until this time next month.

Someone asked me the other day if I'd ever made any grape wines. Actually, Sis and I plan to experiment with that next summer. My brother brought her some grapes from his vines in Minnesota. I've even considered planting some different varieties of grapes that will withstand the frigid temperatures at The Lake. However, why make a grape wine when you can buy it so cheaply in the store? I just bought a box of wine that holds enough wine to fill 6 bottles of wine for $18.99. It takes two years from the time you start brewing a grape wine to when you can actually enjoy it. I can't buy the kind of wines Sis and I make. Prickly Pear Wine? I did see a bottle of Pomegranate Wine on the shelf the other day but it wasn't cheap. I don't think I've ever seen Dandelion Wine for sale. Sis bought a bottle of Rhubarb Wine but she thought it wasn't as good as our rhubarb wine. I've never seen Pyracantha Wine. Prickly Gooseberry Wine? Nope...I've never seen it at the liquor store. Sis and I will make some grape wines but I think we'll concentrate on making wine that you just can't find.


Murphyism of the Day

Handy Office Excuse - Number Twelve


I wasn't hired to do that.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

If you can't do what you want, do what you can.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

No comments: