Friday, April 23, 2010


Blueberry Hill - April 23, 2010

Kylee felt like she had to inspect the currant bushes that have been doing quite well...which isn't surprising because I'm the one that planted them...not the landscaper.

Word of the Day

Stuponfucious - Describing something as being awesome.


The two blueberry bushes that I ordered online came today! Both are high bush varieties and both should prosper in our planting zone (Zone 3). One is called Patriot, the other is called Jersey. They aren't much to look at right now but they'll grow. My other blueberry bushes (on Blueberry Hill) have never produced like I'd like...though...I still hold out hope that with proper care and fertilization, they may eventually produce. However, while prepping the holes for these two bushes, I can see why they aren't doing all that well. They were planted by our landscaper and I had my suspicions because I've encountered the same planting style used by him in the past when I've dug out some of the dead and dying plants that he planted for us up here. How can anyone think that something will grow and prosper in soil that contains more stones, rocks, and boulders than actual soil? Today, I dug out an ornamental bush that wasn't doing well in its rocky environment at the foot of Blueberry Hill and found a spare spot on Blueberry Hill to dig the other hole. I could hardly dig for all the rocks and boulders, some of which were so heavy that I could barely maneuver them out of the holes. I dug two holes that were three times as deep and as wide as necessary and back-filled them with a combination of sifted lake soil and MiracleGro garden soil to which I added some aluminum sulfate. Hopefully, all my prep work will produce two very healthy blueberry bushes which will, in turn, produce buckets of blueberries.

Random Thought of the Day

Do the English people eat English muffins, or are they just called muffins?

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

Summer afternoon - Summer afternoon... the two most beautiful words in the English language.

- Henry James (1843 - 1916)

No comments: