Sunday, April 25, 2010


Kylee Wonders Why I Can't Walk Faster

Word of the Day

Sturp - The last bead of toothpaste remaining behind the nozzle of the tube that cannot be reached, barring disassembly.


2010 Woodtick Count - 3

We met #1 Son for an All-You-Can-Eat Fish Fry supper on Friday night. On Saturday, we ended up spending most of the day inside because it rained for most of the day. I made some compound butter, using some of the wild leeks I'd dug and cleaned. Then, I made a batch of Italian pizzelle so I could send some back home with #1 Son. We made steaks on the grill for supper on Saturday night with a bit of the wild leek compound butter I'd made melted on top. HTP made French fries and I provided a healthy garden salad...with minced wild leeks, of course. Yummy!

You'd think that I'd have been discouraged from digging any more holes after the two that I dug on Friday. Well...

Our lake is part of a chain of lakes and that chain of lakes has an association that encourages preservation of the lakes and the shores surrounding those lakes. The lake association is nothing like a regular homeowners association. For one thing, there is no requirement to become part of the association and the annual fee is considerably lower than for a homeowners association. Anyway, every year, the lake association provides free dry root trees to its members. The first four trees are free, but, you can purchase additional trees at a nominal cost (a dollar a piece).

This year, for some reason or other, HTP and I never received the association newsletter with the form to request the free trees. So...I thought that we'd missed out this year but, I decided to stop by at the warehouse where the trees were being distributed on Saturday morning, just in case they might have some extra trees. Woohoo! I was able to pick up four dry root wild plum trees! Just what I wanted!

It rained for most of the day on Saturday but, not discouraged, I snuck out between the bouts of rain, dug four large holes (removing lots of rocks...but not too bad) and planted my four wild plum trees. They're small but I'm hoping that they'll mature rapidly so Sis and I can harvest wild plums to expand our wine-making repertoire. Besides, Sis has a wonderful recipe for plum liqueur that uses wild plums. In the meantime, I think I might make some hardware cloth collars for the new trees to protect them from critters. I figure that with the six wild plum trees that she got and the four I got and I think my folks got four or six...we'll eventually end up with LOTS of wild plums.

Random Thought of the Day

How come you never see a billboard being put up by the highway?

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

A successful individual typically sets his next goal somewhat but not too much above his last achievement. In this way he steadily raises his level of aspiration.

- Kurt Lewin (1890 - 1947)

1 comment:

In Your Flavor said...

You did a great job describing our Lake Association! I hope all our plum trees grow quickly and are productive.

-Sis