Friday, October 22, 2004

Only 1 Days Left Before We Leave For Arizona...We're Hitting the Road Tomorrow

Today is my last day here at The Lake this year. What am I doing with my time? Hiking? Fishing? Sitting outside on one of the rocking chairs? Nope. I'm doing laundry and packing. We're leaving tomorrow! Oh well. Next year.

I can't believe how time flies fast toward the end of the time we're here. This year time seemed to run in spurts. We arrived. I cleaned up all the bugs. I felt rushed to get everything unpacked. I felt rushed to get the garden in. I rushed to make sure the boat was in. And then we had to get rid of all those weeds in the garden beds. And then time slowed to a more normal pace. And then there was the berry picking. And then there was the canning to do. And then there was more berry picking. And all of a sudden, it was time to get #1 son ready for college and moved to his dorm. It was September? Wow! Two and a half months had gone by? We did get some fishing done but not much. Just enough to enjoy a few meals of fresh fish. (#1 son makes great beer-battered fish.) But it's kind of like someone living in Arizona who never has gone to see The Grand Canyon or someone who lives in California and never has gone to see Disneyland. Hey! I saw the Grand Canyon...but never while I lived in Arizona. I digress. Anyway, I did spend a lot of time on the dock just staring out over the lake, or sitting in the rocking chair on the deck staring out into the woods, with a cup of coffee, or a bottle of beer or a glass of wine in hand. And then it was time to start on the Close Up List and start the final countdown. And then, all of a sudden, it's now. We leave tomorrow. Most of our stuff is packed but I still have to do laundry. Gotta have clean clothes for the trip...don'tcha know.

I will try to blog tomorrow and each day of our trip but any time with our laptop while we're on the road is precious and shared. I may have to resort to a, *shudder*, handwritten journal unless I can bully my way onto the laptop or until I'm back in Arizona in front of my own system. Oh well, at least that way I can keep track of any thoughts that may fade or disappear as the time flies by. Better pack a notebook and pen. Note to self. Add it to the list.

Murphyism of the Day

Emerson's Observation

In every work of genius we recognize our rejected thoughts.

No comments: