Sunday, October 10, 2004

Only 13 Days Left Before We Leave For Arizona

We're driving back into The Big City today to take #1 son back to college. He's now the proud owner of a dorm refrigerator. Before we actually deliver #1 son and his fridge and all his clean clothes and his laptop and all his soda pop and other stuff back to his dorm, we'll be having supper with HTP's folks, his sister and her family, and his brother and his family.

I'm dyeing my hair as I blog today. I noticed a decided skunk line yesterday and figured that it would be nice to remove it.

I try not to mention anything remotely political in my blog. We'll be back in Arizona on November 2nd, the day of the national elections. I always try to vote. Women didn't always have that right. I figure that I should exercise it or this right might become flabby. I hope that I don't get disenfranchised this year. I have to vote by absentee ballot. I hear a lot this year about disenfranchised people. It won't be easy to vote this year. Neither candidate is ideal in my estimation. My mother tells me that she's tempted to write in John McCain on her ballot with Lieberman as his V. P. This morning I received an email from my brother that solidified my decision. I don't think that he meant for his email to have that effect. Sorry. I was reminded of a quote that I heard from my pastor when I was growing up. He quoted in his sermon:

In Germany they came first for the Communists and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me--and by that time no one was left to speak up. -- Martin Niemöller 1892-1984.

Martin Niemoller would be horrified that I use his quote as a rational for war. He was a devout pacifist. However, he regretted to his dying day that he sat and did nothing as Hitler spread his ideas and ideals in Nazi Germany. Are we so politically correct these days that we would have left Hitler alone to spread his hate? I know that there were many at the time who would have recommended this very thing. After all, that...that was happening over there, not here.

Murphyism of the Day

Simon's Law of Destiny

Glory may be fleeting, but obscurity is forever.

No comments: