Friday, January 21, 2005

Word of the Day

Atheism (n.), a non-prophet organization.

The seed catalogs have arrived! The seed catalogs have arrived! I love paging through seed catalogs. Some catalogs are better then others. I prefer seeing an actual photograph of a plant that I'd like to order versus an artist's imaginary rendition. But I must say it's kind of fun to page through the "artistic" seed catalogs. I find myself in awe and wonder. OK. I'm not all that gullible. It's hard for me to actually believe it when I see an artist's rendition of someone holding a tomato big enough to feed a family of ten for a week or a miracle tomato tree that grows ten feet tall and produces enough tomatoes to feed the city of Omaha for a year. I usually end up filing these catalogs in the circular file that sits next to the toilet in my bathroom. After I've had a good chuckle or two. The other seed catalogs have already been dog-earred repeatedly and remain in a place of prestige until I can actually order something. Too soon. One of the things that really bugs me is a catalog that fails to include a zone map. I just finished paging through one those. I'm pretty sure that here in Arizona I live in either a 9 zone or a 10 zone. I'm pretty sure that in Wisconsin I live in a 3 zone or a 4 zone. All depends upon our summer temperatures in Arizona and our winter temperatures in Wisconsin. Apparently, I like to own houses that experience extremes in temperature. Anyway, it sure would be nice of them to include a zone map so I can make sure that their zonal concept jives with my zonal concept. It doesn't help me much to read that a plant will grow nicely in zones 4-9 if there is no corresponding zone map as reference. Oh well. I suppose I'll just have to use my own vast knowledge and experience in this matter. I don't plan to order any plants for our Arizona house this year but, I want to order a few plants for our Wisconsin house. I'll have to wait. We won't get back there until May. The frost will have only just left the ground. The trilliums will be blooming. The leaves will just be budding out on the trees. I can't order my plants until the end of February and then I'll have to beg them to delay shipment until May. In the meantime, I'll just have to keep paging through the seed catalogs. Dog-earring the pages.

Murphyism of the Day

The Roman Rule

The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it.

No comments: