Saturday, January 08, 2005

Word of the Day

Flabbergasted (adj.), appalled over how much weight you've gained.

Despite the fact that I stayed up way too late last night and into the morning, I got up way too early this morning. Total hours sleep? Maybe two. Why? I picked up a book the other day at the store. I really tried not to read it right away. I lasted three whole days. I picked this book up with such good intentions last night. I'd read only one chapter. One chapter and I'd put it down. I am such an addict when it comes to reading. If books were food, I'd be in real trouble when it comes to dieting. I'd weigh a ton or even more. Just like the Lay's Potato Chip commercial where this poor shlub can't just eat one Lay's Potato Chip, I never can sit down and read just one chapter even if I'm reading a book for the third time. Sometimes I even read the same book...over the years...six or seven or countless times. It's a rare experience if you see me actually get rid of a book, much to HTP's disgust. Please note that any book I get rid of wasn't worth reading in the first place. Please note that I read every book that I get my hands on at least one time from cover to finish even if it isn't worth reading. So what did I expect? This was a brand new, Old Grey Frog's never read this book, book. OK. I finished the book and it's too soon to read it again. Worse still? I won't have anything new to read for a while. One of my favorite authors has something coming out at the end of this month and then I think another has something coming out at the end of February. And on top of everything I'm tired and I don't dare take a nap. From past experience, I know that if I do force myself to actually take a nap, I'll wake up feeling yucky. I don't function well after naps. I walk around in what I imagine looks like a drug-induced fog. HTP and are going over the neighbors' house for supper tonight. I don't want to go over there looking like I just got back from the dentist and the valium hasn't worn off yet.

Least you think I spent the whole or yesterday reading, I should tell you that before I picked up the book which kept me up all night, I packed away the rest of my Christmas decorations. Even the cookie tins. I also took #1 son out shopping. HTP was smart. He stayed home. HTP knows it's best to leave the shopping to experts. I took #1 son to DSW, a shoe warehouse, and got him two pairs of shoes. I even bought a pair of shoes for myself. We then proceeded to Target. We purchased more stuff. After this we went to the Chandler Fashion Mall. #1 son needed a winter coat. We saw a couple nice ones at Robinson-May that were nice but proceeded on to Dillard's where we saw another nice coat. Keeping these coats in mind, #1 son found some nice cologne which we purchased and a couple of 50% off after-Christmas bargains. After checking out the coat situation at Nordstrums, we returned to Dillards and purchased the coat that #1 son preferred there. And then we had to buy some gloves to go with the coat. On our way home...it was dark by this time, we decided to check out another Target for a t-shirt that wasn't in stock at the first Target. We found the t-shirt at the second Target along with some Scotch Tape refills and a red tablecloth for my dining room table. Valentine's Day is the next holiday. Upon returning to the house, #1 son headed out with our car to meet with friends, I whipped up some supper for HTP and myself, and I cleared off the dining room table and re-dressed it for Valentine's Day. Early, but now I can enjoy it a while before I have to change it for St. Patrick's Day. I played Pogo for a while after that until around 10 PM. It's only at this point that I picked up that book with such good intentions. One chapter? Hah!

Murphyism of the Day

Loftus' Law of Management

Some people manage by the book, even though they don't know who wrote the book or even what the book is.

No comments: