Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Word of the Day

Semantics (n.), pranks conducted by young men studying for the priesthood.

It's Tuesday so this must be laundry day. I was going to wait and do laundry on Friday so #1 son wouldn't have to go home with a suitcase full of dirty clothes on Saturday. When this option was proposed, I was informed by #1 son that he needed clean clothes NOW. OK. So now I'll be doing laundry today AND Friday. I suppose I could send #1 son home with a suitcase full of dirty laundry, thus forcing him to do his own laundry at his dorm, but what would be the fun in that?

I made prime rib for supper last night. The smoke detector in our house went off. I did not burn or otherwise overcook the prime rib. There was a bit of smoke but none that I noticed. Just regular cooking smoke. We turned on some fans and opened a window. Our house here is pretty small and the smoke detectors were being a bit sensitive.

Before and after Christmas I've been receiving all kinds of sale catalogs in the mail. I have no idea why I've been magically added to their lists. I don't really mind because they make great bathroom reading. I actually received two catalogs from which I'm itching order stuff. Gardening. Plants. Vegetable seeds. I'm going to have to wait on those but I've been earmarking them. I don't want to order any of this stuff for here in Arizona. I want to order this stuff for when I get back to Wisconsin. Anyway, both catalogs (different vendors) promise me that if I buy $25 worth of their stuff, they will give me $25 worth of their stuff. Sounds good to me. It looks like both vendors have more then reasonable prices too so I may end up spending the entire summer planting stuff. Note to self: Just as we should Remember the Alamo, we should Remember the Bulb Incident. I bought an inordinate amount of bulbs last fall and by the time I had them all planted, it took me days to recover. Anyway, not all the catalogs that come in the mail are tempting to me. I just threw one catalog away after taking one look at the prices. Geez! There is no way that I would ever pay $200 for a soap dispenser and it wasn't even gold or encrusted with diamonds.

Making a Marine Update

I finally received a mailing address for my daughter in boot camp. Yeah! I have a backlog of letters to send her but I plan to restrain myself. Only two letters a day until the backlog is no longer. I was warned that we shouldn't do anything to draw attention down upon her head. No fluffy stuffed animals. No baked goods. No flowers. No postcards that may be read out loud to everyone and their DI (Drill Instructor).

Murphyism of the Day

Spencer's Laws of Data

1. Anyone can make a decision given enough facts.

2. A good manager can make a decision without enough facts.

3. A perfect manager can operate in perfect ignorance.

No comments: