Monday, January 24, 2005

Word of the Day

Eyedropper (n.), a clumsy optometrist.

Here's Johnny! As soon as I was old enough to "stay up late", I remember watching the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. I rarely missed a show even during finals week at college. I guess I did miss a whole year while I lived in South America. No TV. But aside from that, I remember feeding my babies their nightly bottle in front of the flickering light of The Tonight Show. I loved that show. When Johnny Carson retired, I still watched the show for a week or so but it just wasn't the same. Leno? He was OK but he was Leno, not Johnny. Letterman? The change was grating to me. OK. I'm a realist. I know that you can't try and be the same as the guy you're replacing. There will never be another Johnny Carson. I mourn the loss of Laugh-In, the original Saturday Night Live, and Ren and Stimpy too. Times change. I never got into the new Star Trek either. I guess I'll just have to join the crowd who lament the passing of The Ed Sullivan Show. The new shows are all geared to our children's generation now as I suppose it was back then. I guess this Old Grey Frog will either have to let herself be dragged into the present TV age or she'll curl up in a comfy chair and read a good book. I like reading. One of my favorite authors has a book coming out today.

Murphyism of the Day

Hershiser's Rules

1. Anything labeled "NEW" and/or "IMPROVED" isn't.

2. The label "NEW" and/or "IMPROVED" means the price went up.

3. The label "ALL NEW", "COMPLETELY NEW" or "GREAT NEW" means the price went way up.

No comments: