Monday, January 17, 2005

Word of the Day

Hexagon (n.), how a mathematician removes a curse.

It's Martin Luther King Day today. Festivities surrounding this holiday have been going on since last week. So maybe that's an excuse for my momentary confusion yesterday morning. Yesterday at church, the minister was telling the congregation all about this traveling exhibit with relics from Martin Luther brought here from Germany. Stupid me. It took me a moment because all I could think of was, "There's relics from Martin Luther King? And why are they coming from Germany?" My only excuse was that I wasn't listening closely enough and I hadn't had a full cup of coffee that morning.

HTP ran out the door seconds ago, on his way to a doctor appointment. No big deal. Sometimes I think doctors just want their pound of flesh. Once the doctors prescribe medication, they've got you. You keep having to go back just so they can take blood and tell you that you still need to take your medication. Since HTP doesn't have an functioning thyroid gland anymore, he needs to take thyroid medication. Well, duh! Oh...and if you don't go back and pay the money for yet another office visit? No medication. With all there tests that the doctor runs, I have yet to see that they've changed HTP's medication one iota. HTP's thyroid gland has never magically grown back or started functioning again. HTP expressed the fear that, since he was running late, his blood pressure will look bad and the doctor will prescribe meds for that too. I don't suppose the drive through Phoenix traffic will help HTP's blood pressure either. I think I calmed HTP down some by telling him that just because the doctor prescribes something, it doesn't mean he actually has to fill the prescription and take it. Ultimately, it's up to you whether or not you're going to swallow what they prescribe. Good or bad, we still have freewill.

Anyway, HTP ran out the door, no coffee, no breakfast, just taking the time to grab a package we're sending to our son at college and a few letters to be mailed. The post office isn't open today. It's Martin Luther King Day. No mail. Oh well, I'm sure HTP will figure this out eventually.

Murphyism of the Day

First Rule of Pathology

Most well-trodden paths lead nowhere.

No comments: