Saturday, September 24, 2005

Word of the Day

Cashtration - The act of buying a house, which renders the subject financially impotent for an indefinite period.

It's one of those grey, dreary, days that reminds me of Oregon. It's actually so cool today that I momentarily considered turning on the heat before I decided to drag on a sweatshirt instead. This might be the perfect day to start a fire in the fireplace and curl up with a good book.

I bought the entire first season of Desperate Housewives the other day when we were in town. I'm looking forward to watching it. When the program first came out, I thought it was yet another "reality" TV show. By the time I found out that it wasn't another "reality" show, it was too late. It became apparent that Desperate Housewives was one of those shows that one needs to watch from the beginning. Just like The Sopranos. Sad to say, I think I may have missed a bunch of good shows because of my lack of fondness for "reality" TV shows. In my humble opinion, "reality" TV shows depict nothing remotely close to "reality" and their very existence is owed to a writer's strike which is long over. Maybe I'd better check out the new season since it looks like the writers have gone back to work.

Murphyism of the Day

The Recommended Practices Committee of the International Society of Philosophical Engineers' Universal Laws for Naive Engineers - Part III

1. Interchangeable parts won't.

2. Manufacturer's specifications of performance should be multiplied by a factor of 0.5.

3. Salespeople's claims for performance should be multiplied by a factor of 0.25.

4. Installation of Operating Instructions shipped with the device will be promptly discarded by the Receiving Department.

5. Any device requiring service or adjustment will be least accessible.

No comments: