Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Word of the Day

Hugsitation - That awkward pause when one can't decide whether to greet someone with a handshake or a hug.

HTP posed a question to me the other day. He was rather hesitant because...well...I was a bit adamant (to say the least) when the subject of my DD daughter's cats came up when it became apparent that she wouldn't be granted BAH (housing allowance) because her husband wasn't with her. She'd have to stay in the barracks. I guess no-one cares that her husband can't be there. He's deployed in Iraq. So at their own expense, they're paying for the storage of all there household goods. And? Now, they're paying for an apartment, out of their small military salaries. Don't get me started. That's a whole issue that I just don't want to get into because my blood pressure just goes nuts.

But, to HTP, the key word here is "apartment". DD daughter has an apartment now. He posed the question (hesitantly), "What about taking a roadtrip to take DD's cats to her? We could drive to Pendleton, spend the night, drop off the cats and the rest of DD's things, and come back the next day." Well, normally this would sound just fine but.... I'm in the middle of a marathon baking session. I do not have time to take a trip out to the coast. Plus, we'd have to take the dogs with us too. So? We consulted with DD daughter. She sounded really excited about having her cats back. Fine. But...I can't go. I'd lose three days of baking time, plus, I just couldn't see traveling six hours with three cats and two dogs. HTP decided to go by himself. Well...actually...not by himself. HTP and DD's three cats left this morning on a road trip to Pendleton.

I packed up all of DD's stuff and loaded it into The Gator. Ten minutes before HTP wanted to leave, I loaded the MiMao, Taye, and Todd into their kennel. I cleaned up the litter box and loaded it into The Gator, along with their water dish and food dish. HTP loaded the kennel into The Gator. Too heavy for me to carry. I mean, each of DD's cats weighs at least 20 pounds. There is no way that I can lift 60 pounds, much less the added weight of the kennel. No sooner than HTP loaded the kennel with it's three cats into The Gator, he then climbed aboard and away they went. I'm thinking that they should arrive at DD Daughter's new apartment at around 6 PM tonight...California time. My fellow Marine Mom's have commented that HTP AND DD's cats are in their prayers. They're praying that the cats behave themselves and that HTP retains enough patience so that he doesn't fling the cats enroute.

Camp Furball Update

Camp Furball has been disbanded. The occupants (inmates) are being transported to their new California home. These are well-traveled, multi-cultural, cats. Sigh. I'm going to miss the little stinkers. To HTP: I will clean and sanitize Camp Furball and return it to guest room status....tomorrow. Really.

****

Me? I made two batches of Russian Teacakes and two batches of Sugarless Russian Teacakes. These are HTP's favorites. I've started a batch of Biscotti and will be finishing up with those before the night is over. Tomorrow? I'm not sure. I'm running out of butter. I think I just may have enough left to make Brown Sugar Cookies. My children would kill me if I didn't make Brown Sugar Cookies.

Murphyism of the Day

It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are ingenious.

No comments: