Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Word of the Day

PESANTE - An musical effect distinctly non-upper-class.

Happy 4th of July!

Well...we missed the fireworks last night. It was too late to go out anymore by the time #1 son got back here. #1 son had to put in some overtime at work last night. He doesn't get paid for overtime so he was a bit pissed at being put on the spot like that because of poor planning and management. Apparently LOTS of people were having pizza cravings yesterday. Pizza Hut management was totally unprepared for weekend traffic on a Monday. Duh?! It may have been a Monday but this particular Monday was part of a three-day holiday weekend. Four Day if you include today. I bet tonight will be just as busy.

I noted that the wild raspberries are starting to ripen. The chipmunks are stealing whatever ripens off my tame raspberries so far. Time to go for a hike with my berry bucket. I really love wild raspberry jam. Later after breakfast and after the dew has dried off a bit. My blueberries are getting ripe too but I'm afraid I still may not get enough to do anything with. The birds and the chipmunks seem determined to take more than their share. I planted enough blueberry bushes that I should be able to enjoy some but so far I just seem to be attracting more and more chipmunks, squirrels, and birds. Thankfully I haven't seen the bear this year. I know I should cover them with netting but I was hoping that I wouldn't have to. Besides netting is expensive when you have so many bushes that need covering. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I may still get enough blueberries for muffins or pancakes. A pie? That would be a miracle at this point.

I just finished setting the last clock in the house...again. We lost power twice yesterday. I have no idea why (no storms) but someone somewhere must be laughing. I reset most of the clocks yesterday (twice) but I forgot the one for the answering machine. I hate setting the answering machine clock. I have to drag out the stupid user's guide every single time because I can't remember and everytime the power goes out this little clock flashes reproachfully at you until you reset it. Now...let's hope the power company actually fixed the problem this time.

Murphyism of the Day

The Roman Rule

The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it.

No comments: