Sunday, July 23, 2006

Word of the Day

Ramdumbtious - Cross between being rowdy and not too bright.

Yesterday was spent in The Big City. We bought a suit for #1 son. Actually, we bought an interview wardrobe for #1 son. One formal black suit, a sport jacket, one white shirt, one royal blue shirt, and one tan shirt, a pair of black suspenders, and three ties. I also got the chance to visit a couple of bookstores. Barnes&Noble and a used bookstore. I now have plenty of reading material. It should last me for at least a few days.

We found a Sushi restaurant in The Big City. Fun. We all gorged ourselves on sushi washed down with Saki. We'd never visited this restaurant before. You sit at a bar that encircles the sushi chef. In front of you there is a circular moat where boats float by with tempting treats. The chef fills the circling boats, the patrons merely need to reach out and take the tiny plates of sushi as they pass in front of them. It was a unique presentation which was really fun.

I finally got my beans picked this morning. It took all morning to snip and clean them. Then I had to dig up my canner and some jars and some lids and rings. After that I had to cut up all the beans....maybe I should have done that while I was snipping and cleaning. Anyway, the end of all this is that I just finished canning 6 quarts of green beans and I still have enough uncanned beans to serve with supper tonight.

In addition to picking beans, I picked my first viable zucchini this morning. Seven of them. Most of the zucchini came from the plants that are growing in my Earthbox. They really seem to love growing in the Earthbox though I'm finding that they all do better if I help the pollenation along a bit. Not a real problem. The only real problem is that I have to constantly add water. Zucchini plants seem to drink an inordinate amount of water. The garden zucchini aren't getting nearly as much water which may be the reason that they aren't doing quite as well. The garden doesn't get as much heat and sun as the deck plants. However, the green beans don't seem to mind. Witness the previous paragraph.

Murphyism of the Day

Issawi-Wilcox Principle

Problems increase in geometric ratio, solutions in arithmetic ratio.

No comments: