Saturday, January 09, 2010


Winter Wines

Word of the Day

Smed - Describing an animal that is smelly and dead. Often used in reference to a discovery while one is driving.


I finally got around to racking my winter wines. This is the second racking of the winter. I'll end up racking the wine two more times...three if you count the final racking on bottling day. I always taste-test the wines each time I rack. Adjusting sugar levels if it seems necessary. However, I'm a big fan of dry wines so adding sugar is a fairly rare occurrence. Of course, the first taste-test is always a bit iffy. For instance, after the first taste-test of the winter wines, I REALLY didn't like the taste of the Prickly Pear wine. Blech! It was AWFUL!!!! I was actually thinking that this might be my last winter for making a Prickly Pear wine. However, after this second racking and taste-test, the Prickly Pear wine tasted fine. This makes me wonder if the Prickly Pear wine from last year (granted that I used a different recipe last year)might end up tasting better after a few more years. You never know what you're going to end up with when it comes to wine-making.

Random Thought of the Day

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

The simple solution for disappointment depression: Get up and get moving. Physically move. Do. Act. Get going.

- Peter McWilliams

No comments: