Monday, January 11, 2010



Word of the Day

Smellifire - To attempt to hide the inevitable bathroom smell one makes by using matches.


DD Daughter's Mother-in-law mentioned that she made some potato soup last week. So...this made me think of the sack of potatoes that I had in the pantry. The sack of potatoes was sending sprouts out through its sack and was in danger of going to waste. This was a sack of potatoes that I bought because it cost me less than 10 cents per pound....before Christmas. HTP and I don't eat a lot of potatoes. DD Daughter's MIL had a recipe for potato soup and it sounded wonderful but I would have had to make another trip to the grocery store and I had a whole lot of other ingredients that needed using up in my fridge. So...using her recipe as a guide, along with six or seven additional recipes that I found on the Internet, I created my own recipe. I used up some of my huge container of chicken gravy mix that I've got stored in my pantry. When did I buy that? Why did I buy that? I used up the wilting celery that was in my crisper drawer. I always have carrots. For some reason I had several onion nubs in my crisper drawer. I assume this was another waste not, want not thing on my part. Of course, I used up all the potatoes. I used up some left-over cooked bacon that I'd cooked up the other day. I used up all the cheese that had started to change color. Hey! I sliced off the mold and discarded it before shredding up the cheese. Anyhow, I ended up with some really tasty potato soup...and I wrote down the recipe so I can make it again someday. It REALLY tasted wonderful! I sure hope it freezes well. As it is, HTP and I are going to be eating a lot of potato soup in the coming days.

Random Thought of the Day

MapQuest really needs to start their directions on #5. Pretty sure I know how to get out of my neighborhood.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

The man who says he is willing to meet you halfway is usually a poor judge of distance.

- Laurence J. Peter (1919 - 1988)

No comments: