Friday, January 08, 2010



Word of the Day

Smaste - To taste the way something else smells.


I juiced the last of the tangelos that HTP and I picked the other day. Following the directions that I found on the Internet, I froze two quarts of juice...leaving room for expansion. I'm thinking that the frozen tangelo juice will make a good alternative for freezer containers in my cooler next spring.

While I was exploring recipes on the Internet, I found one for Tequila/Lime Chicken that looked intriguing. Since I had all the ingredients...including the chicken breasts...I thought I'd give it a try. My chicken is marinading in a blended pale green slime...which...actually smells great. The green slime contains 2/3 of a cup of cilantro, a couple tablespoons of black pepper, a couple teaspoons of garlic powder, a teaspoon of onion powder, a teaspoon of kosher salt, the juice from two limes, the juice from one lemon, a 1/4 cup of orange juice (I used tangelo juice), a half cup of margarita mix, three tablespoons of tequila, three tablespoons of Arancello (recipe called for Triple Sec...but my Arancello is pretty much the same thing), two tablespoons of honey and 1 cup of olive oil. The slime part comes from blending everything together until smooth. I used my hand-held blender, which worked great! I'm a bit concerned about the amount of black pepper and oil in the recipe but...it's a marinade....which will be tossed after it has done its job. Besides, I figure the oil will keep the chicken breast from sticking to the grill. Now all I've got to decide is what side dish I'll make to go with the chicken. I'm thinking salad.

Random Thought of the Day

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

I'm very pleased with each advancing year. It stems back to when I was forty. I was a bit upset about reaching that milestone, but an older friend consoled me. 'Don't complain about growing old - many, many people do not have that privilege.'

- Earl Warren (1891 - 1974)

No comments: