Sunday, June 08, 2014

Asparagus Bed Revisited

Word of the Day

Mattricide - The act of removing the "do not remove" tag on a mattress, thus somehow rendering the mattress invalid.


Woodtick Count - 6


I was fully expecting to add to my woodtick count today but, I lucked out...at least...I hope I did. I haven't found any as yet. Once again, I've gone through three changes of clothing. After 45 minutes of aerobic exercise, I changed out of my workout clothes and into an old pair of jeans and an old t-shirt. When the sun is shining, it's time to work outside. My asparagus bed has been growing for two weeks and it was time to add another three inches of our local soil which I mixed with some potting mix. Our own soil is pretty heavy so, I felt it would be best to lighten it up with the potting mix. By the time I'd finished topping off the bed, I was covered in dirt and mud and had attracted a cloud of mosquitoes. As long as I was dirty, I decided to finish hilling the potatoes. With clouds of mosquitoes following me, I finished up my potato beds.

And this lead me to my third and final change of clothing...after I washed off all the mud and dirt. Just as I'd finished dressing, Sis' hubby arrived to ascertain whether or not I'd need to take the propane tank from my grill into the city to get it filled or not. Not. He had some sort of device that let us know that I had more than half of a tank remaining which is more than enough for me to grill up steaks on Tuesday.

I finished re-making the bed in the guest room and cleaned the downstairs bathroom. I re-filled all the bird-feeders and I replanted my peas and beans in the Earthboxes where Kylee ate the tender new shoots. I'm really going to have to watch that dog until the plants aren't so tender.

Next? I devised/engineered a solution for how to secure a wine glass while I'm out on the deck. I filled an old pop can with dirt. Into this I pushed one of the wine glass holders that I'd purchased online. I tested my device out later in the afternoon when I went down to the dock to finish bilging the big boat and bailing the rowboat. It worked. And...since it was so nice out, I took Kylee back up to the house and grabbed my fishing bait. I can't have Kylee on the dock when I'm fishing. She tries to grab the hook or the bobber. It's just too tempting to her so she needs to be off the dock and in her kennel while I'm fishing. I'd hate to have to run her to the vet remove a hook from Kylee. Willie's and his wife lost a dog who ate a tempting worm-baited hook. That's a nightmare I will NOT risk.

I caught a really nice bass (15 inches), a smaller bass (13 inches) which I released because here at The Lake, bass have to be at least 14 inches, and I caught a walleye (16 inches), which I released because here at The Lake, walleyes need to measure at least 18 inches. Regardless, I had fun and cleaned and froze one nice bass for a future meal.

I strained the kefir milk, both the 2% and 1% and then poured myself a cup of the 1% kefir milk to enjoy for dinner. I just didn't feel up to making dinner. Then, I made a new batch of Kefir-Leban cheese using Trader Joe's 21 Spice mix with sea salt. Then, I started another batch of Kefir cheese. I'm putting part of my kefir grains to sleep for a while. I'm out of 2% milk and quite frankly, I don't think I NEED any more kefir cheese right now. However, I am going to continue making kefir milk to drink with 1% milk. I've got company coming in a couple of days so I don't want to have my cheese-making projects sitting out in my kitchen. Time to clean up the kitchen for company.

Where did all the time go today. It flew! And my Fitbit tells me that I put in more than 10,000 steps and burned a lot of calories today. Tomorrow is another day.

Random Quote of the Day

The average, healthy, well-adjusted adult gets up at seven-thirty in the morning feeling just plain terrible.

- Jean Kerr

No comments: