Friday, June 06, 2014

Hummingbirds!


Word of the Day

Kneepit - Area of space behind the knee.


Woodtick Count - 6


I'm on my third change of clothes for the day. I may be all alone here at The Lake...except for Kylee...but I can't stand spending any more time than need be in sweaty workout clothes. I spent 45 minutes this morning in an aerobic exercise program. I was dripping and stinky so I changed. Then, since I planned to dust my tomatoes, zucchini and currant bushes with fungicide, I put on an old t-shirt, a pair of capris, and some really old sandals. I got sweaty and dusty. Since I was already sweaty and dirty, I dragged out the big shop-vac and vacuumed the upper and lower decks, stowed away the shop-vac, and then watered all the plants on the upper and lower decks and then "fogged" the lower deck with mosquito repellent. I'm hoping that vacuuming up the debris on the lower deck will also help to keep the mosquito population down. Let's hope it works because I can tell that the mosquitoes were HORRIBLE down there, despite the mosquito trap that I had running down there. At this point, I changed into my third and final set of clothing for the day...capris, clean shirt, and my new white sandals.

By the time I finished my outdoor chores, I decided to take a trip into town to check the mail and stop at the bank to deposit two checks that our insurance company sent us (apparently, we over-payed them?). I notified HTP. I also needed to mail a birthday card to BFF2 in Colorado. I stopped into the local gift shop/junk shop and was a bit happy that I wasn't tempted to buy anything. Yeah me!

After returning home, I decided to tackle getting the office in some sort of usable shape. Believe me, that was NOT an easy chore. Lots of filing was done, places had to be found for things that I'd just shoved in there, and sensitive mail had to be shredded. Believe me it took me the better part of the afternoon to get the office organized enough that HTP won't hit the roof when he gets here in July and I can move my laptop in there when company arrives next week. Right now I have it in the living room so I can enjoy watching the birds, the television and sit in reclining comfort with my cup of coffee at my side...or a glass of iced tea...or a glass of wine.

Speaking of wine, I ordered three different things that should help hold wine glasses while I'm on the dock or out on the deck. They arrived today. I'd hoped that I could easily install option that I was thinking of using on the dock because I broke one of my wine glasses when I was fishing down there. However, I'm not sure how to install that option...yet. Actually, I'm not sure of how to install ANY of the options for anywhere yet. I've got to think about it for a while...or let an engineer take figure out something. Mr. Fix-it will be coming with BFF1 at the end of July. Maybe I can wait that long.

I'm thrilled to see that the dragonflies have returned. YEAH!!! Maybe this will diminish the mosquito population that has been plaguing us.

Another, YEAH!, because the roofer called. He wanted to come and start the roofing on June 10th. Next week seems to be the week where EVERYTHING is planned to happen. The roofer asked if June 16th would be better. I jumped on his suggestion. So far, I don't have anything planned for that week. Let's hope the weather co-operates. I'm told that there are going to be LOTS of trucks and LOTS of mess. I do NOT want that for next week when I have The Harpist and Lord Doug here.

Random Quote of the Day

An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup.

- H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

No comments: