Monday, June 16, 2014

Celebration of a Life Well-lived

Gathering of Family

A Tribute to Mr. Smoothie
T-Square and Mr. Smoothie


Word of the Day

Beer thirty - Any time on the half hour that one decides to open and drink a beer.


The weekend was spent in celebration of my uncle who passed away earlier this year. He spent most of his life here in Wisconsin and, as a teacher, contributed much to the lives he touched. Ever with a ready smile and chuckle, he was the best teacher I've ever known. His youngest daughter related that he was teaching right up to the end of his life when the hospice nurse asked if it was OK if she could have a young student in the hospice program come in to observe.

My uncle wanted his memorial celebration to be a happy event...no tears. He wanted a barbershop quartet (he did love to listen to a good barbershop quartet) and NO sad music. He wanted an ice cream social because he really loved his ice cream...and cupcakes because he never missed an opportunity to enjoy both. His children made the celebration happen as he envisioned it, from start to finish. And I know that he was watching, smiling and laughing along with us when my father stood up and told funny stories about growing up with his older brother.

The weekend was a gathering of relatives and friends who hadn't seen each other in way too long. I hadn't seen some of my cousins since I was in high school. There never seemed to be any opportunities. I hope we make opportunities to gather more often in the future.

Sunday was Father's Day. We celebrated it at my uncle's favorite restaurant where he was known as "Mr. Smoothie" because he always ordered his favorite...a fruit smoothie. It was really hard to say goodbye to everyone when we had to return to our own separate homes once again.

I was tired after driving more than four hours coming home but I was blessed with good companions. Ma and T-Square. We enjoyed a second Father's Day meal at Perkins on the way home where T-Square got to enjoy a piece of French Silk pie. My Dad LOVES chocolate. We'll be celebrating Ma's 90th birthday this summer (belated) and T-Square's 90th birthday (early). I plan to spend as much time with both of them as possible.

*****

Roofing - Day 1

My roofers didn't show up until almost 9 AM. Apparently, they could only do some prep work today along with getting all the supplies delivered here to the job site...here...at The Lake. They can't start tearing off the old shingles without the use of their dump truck which broke down on their last job and needs fixing. I was assured that they'd start in earnest tomorrow morning...weather permitting. Having already seen the forecast for the remainder of this week...I have my doubts. The truck that brought the shingles and supplies...the HUGE truck...backed all the way down my driveway, which, doesn't sound all that big of a deal unless you know my driveway, my 1/2 mile long driveway...dirt driveway. I've got stacks of shingles and shingling supplies sitting on my driveway. I took pictures because I promised HTP that I'd keep careful documentation of this expensive endeavor. I moved my container gardens out of harms way and was promised that the roofers would move whatever else needs moving should the need arise.

So, here I sit. I should be exercising. I'm not. The sun is shining, the only sound I hear is that coming from my wind chimes, the sound of the hummingbirds as they sip at my feeders and the wind through the trees. The roofers are gone and I should be up and doing.

Random Quote of the Day

What is life but a series of inspired follies? The difficulty is to find them to do. Never lose a chance: it doesn't come every day.

- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950), Pygmalion, Act 2

No comments: